Largo running back Jarvis Stewart arrested



MORE from our HomeTeam writers.

More Video



Fri. November 8, 2013 | Bob Putnam | Email

Largo running back Jarvis Stewart arrested

Playoff-bound Largo will likely be without one of its key players for the rest of the season.

Senior running back and USF commitment Jarvis Stewart was arrested Thursday and charged with lewd and lascivious battery, a felony, according to a Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office report.

Stewart, 18, was initially arrested by the Largo Police Department and was still in the Pinellas County Jail on Friday afternoon. His bond was set at $10,000.

According to the arrest report, Stewart took the victim to buy marijuana, then he and the victim smoked marijuana together and had sexual intercourse at her house in October. Largo Police Lt. Paul Amodeo confirmed that the victim is 12 years old. The report states that Stewart, a family friend, “admitted to these events and that he was aware of the victim’s age.”

Coach Rick Rodriguez confirmed that Stewart will not play tonight against Countryside and is likely done for the season. He would not comment further.

Stewart is one of the leading rushers in Tampa Bay, compiling 1,146 yards and 15 touchdowns this season. He broke out as a junior, rushing for 1,186 yards and 17 touchdowns to garner first-team honors on the Tampa Bay Times’ all-Pinellas County football team.

Stewart has had several big games this season, including rushing for 205 yards and scoring twice — once on an 80-yard run — against fellow playoff contender Lakewood. He also holds Division I offers from Missouri, West Virginia, UCF and Kentucky, among others.

The Packers are set to host Jefferson on Nov. 15 in a first-round playoff game.

Senior linebacker Frankie Hernandez is also suspended for tonight’s game, stemming from a school-related incident. Rodriguez said there will be a meeting with administrators Monday to determine if Hernandez, a Marshall commit, will be eligible for the remainder of the season.

This is not the first time this season the two have been in trouble. Both missed the East Lake game Sept. 6 because they were serving three-day suspensions at school, but returned the following week.

Also, during his sophomore year, Stewart was reassigned to a secondary school for disciplinary reasons and missed all of spring football. He was allowed to come back to Largo for his junior year.

Teams in post


Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours