Team of the night
I don't care who you're playing, but Jesuit scoring 15 goals in one half of soccer against Spoto is pretty impressive. That's pretty much steal the ball, send it, shoot it, and GOOOOAAAAAL!
That's like one goal every 2 1/2 minutes. That is ri-donk-a-donk, and you know it.
Timothy Gillman got one. So did Austin Jurado, Brett Durrance, Paul Dickerson, Alex Moore and T.R. Bopp. Stephen Gathman and Tayni Mubang each scored twice. Tyler Hartlage had a hat trick plus 1.
The Jesuit bus driver came off the bench and hit the post. The team trainer found the crossbar twice. Otherwise, it could have been really ugly.
Player of the night
Dear, Amber Henson,
Take your time coming back. The health of your knees is very important to our postseason chances, so it is better to be safe than sorry. No rush at all. In fact, I've arranged to have ice cold bottles of water, Airheads and nachos delivered to the bench every game to make you as comfortable as possible, and I hope you enjoy the new iPod and seat cushion I put in your locker. Hope to see you back in February.
P.S. Did you see the 39 points I scored Tuesday night against Middleton? Or the 33 I had the game before that? Or the 28 I had the game before that? See! No worries. Let me get you an ottoman so you can put your feet up.
Tuesday's Terrific 10
1. I wish I could cite some of the Anclote boys basketball players who contributed in what may the year's best comeback, but these incomplete box scores are killing me, people, KILLING ME. But the Sharks rallied from 18 down at halftime to beat Mitchell 68-62, capping the amazing rally with a 19-4 fourth quarter,
2. Andre Nation scored 24 and Kyle White chipped in 22 as Durant beat Strawberry Crest in boys hoops.
3. Josh Williams scored 23 in Berkeley Prep's win, including a near-perfect 11-of-12 from the line.
4. Indian Rocks Christian's Jessica Logemann had 25 points, 11 rebounds and seven assists for the Golden Eagles, who were some rebounding fools Tuesday night: Kristen Scholl had 11, Rachel Burnett had nine, Madison Rubino seven and Tori Trador six.
5. Kyle Wiedinger dropped in 21 points in a Calvary Christian triumph over Shorecrest.
6. Garrett Saunders' 27 points was enough to rally Seffner Christian to a win over Citrus Park.
7. Emma Loucks had 20 as Clearwater overcame 22 from PHU's Kristine Fuller in a victory.
8. Tamara Taylor scored 23 points and backcourt mate Alexis Ungro had 18 for victorious Bogie.
9. Kelsey Geraghty scored 24 points as Seminole beat Dixie Hollins.
10. Eric Garcia scored twice -- something he has done in every game but one this season -- as the Pasco boys soccer team won again.
Freshman on fire
Dixie Hollins' Meagan Thomas scored just 16 points in her first two games. Since then, she is averaging 32.2, including a career-high 39 (including seven 3-pointers) Tuesday night in a loss to Seminole. Thomas has scored 39, 25, 32 and 33 her past four games, not a bad debut for a first-year varsity player.
Hannah Demarest and surprising Osceola won again Tuesday night, beating Gibbs 39-30 for the first time in forever. And once again Demarest went for a triple double, her second of the season, scoring 23 points, grabbing 11 rebounds and getting 10 steals. Heck, in four games now, Demarest is almost averaging a triple double: 19.5 points, 11 rebounds and nine steals.
You're there. I'm here:
@JohnnyHometeam on Twitter