Basketball super 7
Records through Wednesday
1. St. Petersburg (15-4): Chapter 2 of the St. Petersburg vs. Palm Harbor University saga went to the Green Devils, so the teams switch positions this week. That could change next week when they meet in the PCAC final.
2. Palm Harbor University (17-3): ’Canes showed some toughness by bouncing back after the St. Petersburg loss to beat Clearwater the following night. Amber Jennings and Megan Ingram are playing well right now.
3. Clearwater (19-2): Tornadoes brought down to earth a little after losing to PHU. They have more than a week off after Thursday’s Tarpon Springs game to prepare for districts.
4. Calvary Christian (15-3): A challenging game against Seffner Christian awaits next week. Then it’s on to districts, where the Warriors will be highly favored.
5. Northeast (18-5): Vikings have a tough one tonight against Dixie Hollins. If they win, they are on target for their first 20-win season since 1986.
6. Dixie Hollins (11-5): Rebels had won four straight prior to Thursday’s game against Pinellas Park.
7. Countryside (12-7): Only game left is next week at Boca Ciega. After that, the Cougars will have to battle Clearwater and Northeast in districts for one of the two region playoff spots.
1. St. Petersburg (13-1): Green Devils, who have all but wrapped up the top seed in 8A-8, face Tampa Catholic in the MacCollom Shootout at Seminole on Saturday.
2. Largo (14-1): Big week for the Packers, who play Mitchell on Friday in a battle for first place in 6A-10. Largo also has a game against Wharton on Saturday.
3. Gibbs (11-3): Last week, the Gladiators lost 41-40 to Jacksonville Ribault. Bigger loss might be guard Shaq Speights, who broke his hand and could be done for the season.
4. Seminole (14-2): With win against East Lake last week, the Warhawks claimed sole possession of first in 7A-9. Seminole hosts Brandon in its shootout Saturday.
5. Lakewood (7-6): After losing for the second time this season to Gibbs, the Spartans rebounded with a victory over neighboring rival Boca Ciega.
6. Shorecrest (16-3): Brady Grimm scored 28 in a win over Indian Rocks Christian this week that improved the Chargers’ record to 9-0 in 3A-9.
7. Tarpon Springs (19-2): Spongers have won nine straight and wrapped up the top seed in 5A-8 with an 11-0 record, three games ahead of everyone else in the district.