Mitchell will interview nine people for its football coach position, including former coach Scott Schmitz, who resigned in 2008, eight seasons after starting the program in 2000.
Schmitz said he was "tired" when he resigned. He did return a year later to coach the girls golf team to its best -ever finish, earning coach of the year honors.
Schmitz also started the River Ridge program in 1990, going 43-51 in nine seasons, including three playoff seasons. He was hired at River Ridge by then-athletic director Jim Michaels, who is now the principal at Mitchell.
He is vying to replace Brian Wachtel, who was 13-7 in two seasons but was dismissed following last year's 5-5 record due to what Michaels said were "philosophical differences."
Schmitz will have competition from another head coach recently dismissed, Gaither's Mark Kantor, who was 42-55 in 10 seasons heading up the Cowboys program.
The others to be interviewed are:
* Sunlake wrestling coach and athletic director Russ Schenk
* Sunlake football assistant coach Trey Burdick
* Former Pasco star running back and assistant coach Mike Penix
* Gulf JV football coach and Seven Springs Middle School athletic director Tim Boggess, recently a finalist for the River Ridge job
* William Schmitz, a former Jesuit head coach (2003-04) who also has college head coaching experience at Austin Peay
* East Lake assistant coach Jason Messamore, who you can read about here
* Dan Whittaker.