MORE from our HomeTeam writers.
Gardner-Webb experiences a Ruff outing, a J-Boy shines for the 'U,' and other top weekend college football performances from Hillsborough-based players:
• Lost amid Stanford's latest upset of Southern Cal was coming-out of former Berkeley Prep star Nelson Agholor. In only his third college game, Agholor had three catches for 77 yards, including a 49-yard reception from Matt Barkley to the Cardinal 1, setting up the Trojans' first touchdown.
• Another Berkeley alumnus, Archibald -- Don't call him "Archie" -- Barnes had a team-best six tackles and a forced fumble in Vanderbilt's 58-0 romp of Presbyterian. Commodores teammate Josh Grady (Armwood), a redshirt freshman, had 61 all-purpose yards.
• Though clearly overshadowed by backfield teammate Chris Thompson (197 rushing yards), FSU sophomore James Wilder Jr. (Plant) ran for 94 yards on 16 carries in the Seminoles' 52-0 annihilation of Wake Forest.
• Samford redshirt sophomore Calvin Ruff (Jesuit) spent most of Saturday in the Gardner-Webb backfield, totaling five tackles, 1.5 sacks and a QB hurry in his team's 44-23 victory.
• In only his third college game, Miami true freshman Tyriq McCord (Jefferson) tallied five tackles, two sacks and a pass breakup in the Hurricanes' 38-10 win against Bethune-Cookman. Teammate Anthony Chickillo (Alonso) added five tackles and a fumble recovery.
• Two weeks after being named Big Ten Freshman of the Week, Purdue redshirt freshman Frankie Williams (Robinson) had another notable effort, recording five tackles and an interception in a 54-16 romp of Eastern Michigan.
* While we didn't initially mention Georgia QB Aaron Murray (Plant) out of fear of redundancy, we can't in good conscience ignore his career-high passing yardage total (14-for-19, 342 yards) in the Dawgs' 56-20 rout of FAU. Now that Matt Barkley has stumbled, is Murray now entrenched in the Heisman conversation?
* Holy Cross ILB Scott O'Donoghue (Sickles) had 11 tackles -- including 10 solos -- and a pass breakup in a 24-21 loss to Brown.
Any significant Hillsborough-based performance we missed? Drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org, or Tweet us at @JoeyHomeTeam or @TBHomeTeam.
Photo: Associated Press