BAGHDAD — Two American contractors were transferred Sunday from Iraqi to U.S. custody, the U.S. Embassy said, stressing that Iraqi authorities requested the move in line with a security pact that took effect this year.
The men have been held since June 3 when they were detained with three other Americans by U.S.-backed Iraqi forces as part of an investigation into the stabbing death of a fellow contractor.
The other three have been released on bail.
But the two others were transferred to a U.S. military facility and "remain in custody pursuant to Iraqi judicial orders," embassy spokesman James Fennell told the Associated Press.
The five have been cleared of any link to James Kitterman's killing but face an investigation into unrelated charges. Kitterman, 60, of Houston, was found dead in his car on May 22 in Baghdad's protected Green Zone. He had been blindfolded, bound and stabbed.