CIUDAD JUAREZ, Mexico — At least 20 people were killed in drug-gang violence over the weekend in this northern Mexican border city, including seven found dead outside one house.
The seven men were believed to have been at a family party when they were gunned down Saturday night, said Arturo Sandoval, a spokesman for the Attorney General's Office in Chihuahua state, where Ciudad Juarez is located. Five were found dead in a car, and the two others were shot at the entrance of the home.
There have been several such massacres in Ciudad Juarez, a city held hostage by a nearly three-year turf battle between the Juarez and Sinaloa cartels.
Few residents venture out to bars and restaurants. And like those attacked Saturday, others have discovered that they aren't safe in their own homes: Last month, gunmen stormed two houses and massacred more than a dozen young people attending a party for a 15-year-old boy.
Eleven other people were killed Saturday in the city, including two whose bodies were found dismembered, Sandoval said. On Sunday, two city police officers, a man and a woman, were shot to death inside their patrol car.
Ciudad Juarez, across the border from El Paso, Texas, has become one of the world's deadliest cities in the time that the two cartels have been fighting. More than 6,500 people have been killed since the start of 2008.
The U.S. Consulate in the northern city of Hermosillo, meanwhile, announced new travel restrictions for its U.S. employees in the states of Sinaloa and Sonora.
A consulate message said all official travel is banned along Benito Juarez highway between Estacion Don and Guamuchil, Sinaloa, "due to extreme threats of violence."