Make us your home page

Brazil defends its search efforts in shipwreck

SAO PAULO, Brazil — The Brazilian navy on Sunday defended its response to a shipwreck that left dozens of teenage students from around the world adrift on the ocean for two nights.

The navy deployed a search aircraft about 19 hours after it received a distress signal from the SV Concordia on Wednesday, which officials say is in line with standard procedure.

All 48 students and 16 crew members were safely rescued Friday, nearly 40 hours after the sailing ship capsized in the Atlantic Ocean, several hundred miles off the Brazilian coast.

Nigel McCarthy, president and CEO of West Island College International of Lunenburg, Nova Scotia, which operates Canadian-based Class Afloat, expressed concern that the students were left adrift on life rafts for so long before being rescued.

"We're certainly trying to gain a better understanding of why does it seem like such a long time," McCarthy told the Associated Press on Sunday. "We really don't know.

"These are the same people, of course, that we're thanking for bringing home our kids so we have to be attentive."

Navy spokeswoman Maria Padilha said that naval responders received a distress signal about 10 p.m. local time Wednesday (8 p.m. EST) and immediately tried to make radio contact with the vessel. They also communicated with nearby ships and aircraft to see if they could spot anything wrong in the area, Padilha said.

The aim was to assess what type of emergency had occurred, she said, given that it could have been anything from a minor engine problem to a grave illness or a sinking ship.

The ship's captain, William Curry, has said that the vessel capsized Wednesday afternoon. It was not clear why the navy did not receive the distress signal until hours later. McCarthy said Saturday that the London-based Barbados Maritime Ship Registry, which works on behalf of the government of Barbados, will conduct an investigation.

When their efforts to communicate with the SV Concordia failed, Brazilian naval authorities reached out to school officials in Canada — but not until about 10 a.m. Thursday. The officials also had no luck getting the ship's captain and crew on the radio or through e-mails, prompting the navy to ask for an air force search operation in the general location of the distress signal.

An aircraft left about 5 p.m. local time and about three hours later spotted the students and crew on rafts 300 miles off the coast.

Curry said the three-masted Concordia apparently experienced a weather phenomenon known as a "microburst" — a sudden, violent downdraft of wind — that instantly crippled the vessel.

School officials said 42 of those aboard were from Canada, while others hail from the United States, Australia, New Zealand, Mexico, Europe and the West Indies.

Brazil defends its search efforts in shipwreck 02/21/10 [Last modified: Sunday, February 21, 2010 7:52pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times


Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours