Thursday, June 21, 2018

Britain charges 8 in phone hacking scandal

LONDON — Britain's phone hacking scandal took a dramatic turn Tuesday with the filing of criminal charges against eight people, including a onetime confidant of media mogul Rupert Murdoch and a former senior aide to Prime Minister David Cameron.

Prosecutors said that Rebekah Brooks, who ran Murdoch's British newspapers, and Andy Coulson, who served as Cameron's communications adviser, were among those charged with illegally tapping into the cellphones of celebrities, politicians and other public figures while working at the now-shuttered News of the World tabloid.

Over a six-year period starting in the fall of 2000, Brooks, Coulson and five of the other suspects conspired to break into the phones of more than 600 people, prosecutor Alison Levitt said. On the list of victims: actors Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie and Jude Law, singer Paul McCartney, soccer player Wayne Rooney and at least one Cabinet minister.

The alleged hacking was part of the News of the World's relentless pursuit of sensational stories and extended as far as accessing the voicemail messages left on the phone of a 13-year-old kidnapping victim who was later found slain.

"Prosecution is required in the public interest," Levitt said, adding that enough evidence existed "for there to be a realistic prospect of conviction."

The announcement came a year after Britain was rocked by the revelation that the phone of Milly Dowler, the young kidnapping victim, had been hacked by a private investigator hired by the News of the World.

Amid the uproar that followed, Murdoch shut down the 168-year-old tabloid, issued a public apology and was hauled before Parliament for questioning. Top executives at News International, the British arm of his giant News Corp., resigned in disgrace, including Brooks.

Brooks maintained her innocence Tuesday, despite having been editor of the News of the World in 2002, at the time that the scandal sheet tapped into the teen's phone. "I did not authorize, nor was I aware of, phone hacking under my editorship," she said in a statement.

Besides Brooks and Coulson, five other former News of the World journalists were charged with conspiring to hack cellphones between October 2000 and August 2006. The eighth suspect, a private investigator hired by the paper, was not charged with respect to the entire six-year period but does stand accused of tapping into the phones of specific individuals during that time.

Comments
Jameis Winston suspension means Bucs will turn to Ryan Fitzpatrick at QB

Jameis Winston suspension means Bucs will turn to Ryan Fitzpatrick at QB

TAMPA — The news of Jameis Winston's suspension to start this season likely means the Bucs will have veteran Ryan Fitzpatrick stepping in at quarterback for the first three games of the regular season.Fitzpatrick took over as the starter for th...
Updated: 9 minutes ago
Kevin Knox to Knicks makes NBA history locally

Kevin Knox to Knicks makes NBA history locally

More than a year ago, Kevin Knox stepped across the stage at the Straz Center to receive his high school diploma.On Thursday, the former Tampa Catholic star was on basketball's biggest stage as he fulfilled his lifelong goal of making the NBA.Knox wa...
Updated: 13 minutes ago
2018-19 schedule unveiled: Lightning opens with five straight at home

2018-19 schedule unveiled: Lightning opens with five straight at home

NHL schedules all balance out at the end, but the Lightning will open 2018-19 with five straight home games and end the season with its last four on the road.The Lightning released its schedule Thursday evening for the upcoming season, with all sorts...
Updated: 21 minutes ago
Without a first-rounder, Lightning still could have busy draft weekend

Without a first-rounder, Lightning still could have busy draft weekend

The Lightning doesn't have a first-round pick in this weekend's draft, but that's not to say the weekend couldn't be busy for general manager Steve Yzerman and his front office.The Lightning sent its top draft pick to the Rangers in February as part ...
Updated: 22 minutes ago
Next move is simple for the Bucs: Get rid of Jameis Winston

Next move is simple for the Bucs: Get rid of Jameis Winston

Trade him. Waive him. Cut him.Whatever.Just get rid of him.Jameis Winston should never play another game for the Tampa Bay Bucs.Plain and simple, he's a bad guy and the Bucs should have nothing more to do with him.He already will miss the first three...
Updated: 25 minutes ago

Sports on TV/radio for Friday, June 22

TODAYBaseballYankees at Rays7 p.m.Fox Sun; 620-AMDodgers at Mets7 p.m.MLBMarlins at Rockies8:30 p.m.FSFCFLWinnipeg at Montreal7 p.m.ESPN2College baseball, World SeriesMississippi State vs. Oregon State3 p.m.ESPNArkansas vs. Florida-Texas Tech winner8...
Updated: 1 hour ago

AP Top News at 11:49 p.m. EDT

AP Top News at 11:49 p.m. EDT
Updated: 1 hour ago
Official: Hundreds of kids reunited with families since May

Official: Hundreds of kids reunited with families since May

About 500 of the more than 2,300 children separated from their families at the border have been reunited since May, a senior Trump administration official says
Updated: 1 hour ago
Kings select Duke's Marvin Bagley III with 2nd overall pick

Kings select Duke's Marvin Bagley III with 2nd overall pick

The Sacramento Kings have selected Duke forward Marvin Bagley III with the second overall pick in the draft.
Updated: 1 hour ago
Yankees finish off sweep of Mariners with 4-3 victory

Yankees finish off sweep of Mariners with 4-3 victory

Baseball Capsules
Updated: 1 hour ago