LONDON — Britain's most powerful counterterrorism police officer resigned Thursday, a day after being photographed holding a document marked "SECRET" that outlined details of a major antiterrorism operation.
The resignation is the latest embarrassment for the Metropolitan Police Service, which is also being investigated for its handling of, and possible responsibility for, the death of a passer-by during protests at last week's G-20 meetings. Both cases hinged on photographs and videotape taken by reporters and members of the public and disseminated by the news media and on the Internet.
The resignation of the counterterrorism officer, Assistant Commissioner Bob Quick, came after he was seen carrying a document titled, "Briefing Note: Operation PATHWAY," while on his way to a Downing Street security briefing. Referring to the terror network of al-Qaida, the document sketched out a plan to arrest 11 people at seven addresses in northwest England as part of "a security service-led investigation into suspected AQ-driven attack planning within the U.K."
Because of the disclosure, captured by photographers with telephoto lenses, antiterrorism officers had to carry out the operation many hours earlier than planned, the police said. Hundreds of officers took part in raids around Manchester, Liverpool and Lancashire on Wednesday. They detained 12 people on suspicion of being part of what Prime Minister Gordon Brown called "a very big terrorist plot" that the security services had been "following for some time."
The British news media reported that the group had been planning attacks this weekend on targets like a shopping center in downtown Manchester. But Peter Fahy, the chief constable of Greater Manchester Police, said "there is no particular threat against any particular location."
Ten of the people in custody are Pakistani citizens, and one is British-born, Fahy said. None has been formally charged.