LONDON — Lawyers for Britain's royal family will make a criminal complaint against the photographer who took pictures of Prince William's wife, Kate, sunbathing topless, William's office said Sunday.
The palace has already launched a civil lawsuit against France's Closer magazine, which published the paparazzi snaps of Kate, the Duchess of Cambridge, at a private villa in Provence.
The couple is hitting back hard against publication of the pictures, which the palace called a "grotesque" abuse of privacy.
A spokeswoman for William's office said the couple's lawyers would today file a complaint with French prosecutors against the unidentified photographer or photographers involved.
The palace said it would be up to French prosecutors to decide whether to investigate and pursue a criminal case for breach of privacy or trespassing.
The couple's lawyers are already due in a Paris court today seeking an injunction against Closer's publisher, the Italian media group Mondadori. It also publishes Italy's Chi gossip magazine, which says it will publish 26 pages of the images today.
The palace will seek damages from the publisher, which is owned by former Italian Premier Silvio Berlusconi.
The palace said it was considering "all proportionate responses" against Chi, though no decision has been made on legal action against it or the Irish Daily Star which reproduced the photos on Saturday.
No British publication has run the pictures.
The strong response stands in contrast to the reception of naked photos of Prince Harry partying in Las Vegas, which appeared online last month and were later published in Britain's Sun tabloid. The palace shrugged off the photos and took no action against those who published them.