Make us your home page

Burned teen is progressing as support pours in

Michael Brewer Sr. and his wife, Valerie, are grateful for all of the support for their son.

Associated Press

Michael Brewer Sr. and his wife, Valerie, are grateful for all of the support for their son.

MIAMI — In the days after 15-year-old Michael Brewer was set on fire by a group of teens, his mother, Valerie Brewer, sat at his hospital bedside and worried.

"How are we going to get through this?" she recalls wondering. She was a switchboard operator. Her husband had been laid off as a maintenance man two months earlier. The family didn't have health insurance.

Never mind the anger that welled up after police said five of Michael's middle school classmates doused him with rubbing alcohol on Oct. 12 and set him ablaze, causing burns over 65 percent of his body. Police said the attack in a South Florida apartment complex happened a day after Michael called police when some of the other boys tried to steal his father's bike. Michael may also have owed one of the boys money for a video game.

Two days after the attack, Valerie Brewer said she "got down on her hands and knees and gave her anger to God."

Then, she said, miracles happened. People in South Florida held fundraisers for her family. Cards and letters of support poured in from around the world. Retired Miami Heat basketball player Alonzo Mourning visited recently, and rocker Ozzy Osbourne heard about Michael and sent him some CDs.

"It has just been overwhelming," said Brewer, who thanked supporters during media interviews Wednesday alongside her husband, Michael Brewer Sr. "It really has renewed my faith in mankind."

Michael is doing better. Doctors at Jackson Memorial Hospital initially predicted he would need to stay in the intensive care unit for five months. Instead, he was moved to a burn unit after five weeks.

"He suffered an extremely life-changing burn," said Dr. Carl Schulman. "But we're happy with his progress. He's doing as well as we can possibly expect."

Michael is scheduled to undergo his first skin graft on the backs of his legs next week. But his recovery is not all smooth. He is still sedated and in intense pain, said his mother, especially when a nurse changes his dressings every day and gently washes his wounds.

Michael calls it his "torture time." "He screams," she said. "But he cranks up Ozzy on the boom box and focuses on the music."

Burned teen is progressing as support pours in 11/25/09 [Last modified: Wednesday, November 25, 2009 9:03pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times


Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours