Overcast71° WeatherOvercast71° Weather

Delay on Afghan decision sends messages

WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama's drawn-out decisionmaking on Afghanistan is sending messages. To the Afghan government: Clean up your act. To the Pentagon: I'm no rubber stamp. To the American public: More troops can't be the sole answer.

Obama has been accused by some Republicans of "dithering" about whether to send more troops and deepen U.S. involvement in an increasingly unpopular war.

The slow process also has left him open to critics who recall his pronouncement in March, after developing what he called a "stronger, smarter and comprehensive" Afghan war strategy, that the situation there was "increasingly perilous." He ordered more troops to battle then, with little discernible result so far.

Defense Secretary Robert Gates told reporters Thursday that the president was nearing a final decision, and he referred to one of the central questions Obama and his advisers have wrestled with for weeks.

"How do we signal resolve and at the same time signal to the Afghans and the American people that this isn't an open-ended commitment?"

At a White House war council meeting Wednesday, Obama rejected four Afghan war options put before him and asked for revisions that combine the best elements of the proposals, Gates said. The changes could alter the dynamic of both how many additional troops are sent to Afghanistan and their time in the war zone.

Obama is not expected to decide the Afghan matter until after he returns from Asia late next week.

Obama is considering options that include adding 30,000 or more U.S. forces to take on the Taliban and associated insurgent groups in key areas of Afghanistan. The other three options are ranges of troop increases, from a relatively small addition to the roughly 40,000 preferred by the top U.S. commander in Afghanistan, Gen. Stanley McChrystal, according to military and other officials.

Karl Eikenberry, the U.S. ambassador to Afghanistan, has argued against sending large numbers of additional troops. Eikenberry, himself a former U.S. military commander in Afghanistan, harbors strong doubts about the viability of the government there.

Gates takes aim at roadside bombs

Defense Secretary Robert Gates on Thursday told workers at an Oshkosh, Wis., plant assembling a new armored combat truck that he will lead an intensive push for new ways to defuse the threat from homemade bombs, which account for eight in 10 casualties in Afghanistan. Gates said he wants a brainstorming review across the Defense Department. In September 2009, the Pentagon counted 106 effective attacks that killed 37 U.S. and NATO service members and wounded 285 more.

NATO plans: NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen said Thursday that allied nations have privately pledged more help, but stopped short of saying more troops would be sent. Canada, Finland and the Netherlands have either pulled troops out or set withdrawal dates. Denmark, Italy, Germany, Norway and Sweden say they will maintain current troop levels. Only Britain and Turkey have made significant pledges.

Delay on Afghan decision sends messages 11/12/09 [Last modified: Thursday, November 12, 2009 11:30pm]

Copyright: For copyright information, please check with the distributor of this item, Associated Press.
    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...