Make us your home page

For 2 hours, nowhere to run

Emergency workers search for bodies beneath the water off Utoya Island on Saturday. Police have arrested a Norwegian in the massacre at the island and a bombing earlier in Oslo.

Associated Press

Emergency workers search for bodies beneath the water off Utoya Island on Saturday. Police have arrested a Norwegian in the massacre at the island and a bombing earlier in Oslo.

OSLO, Norway — When the blond man in the police uniform started firing his assault rifle, many of the youths couldn't believe it was real.

It had to be a sick prank.

Something this crazy could never happen in quiet, sensible Norway.

Then terror flared in the eyes of those with a better view: teens and young adults crumpling to the ground, blood streaming from point-blank bullet wounds. Hundreds turned and ran to every corner of Utoya Island. They cowered silently or tried to swim for their lives.

The death toll from Friday's bombing in Oslo and the island shooting stood at 92, including 85 campers at the youth retreat for Norway's ruling Labor Party.

Motives for the rampage remained obscure Saturday, even as police questioned a suspect.

One day after a gunman posing as their protector methodically shot youth after youth, survivors and the local boatmen who helped save them recounted their two hours of horror.

News of a bombing

3:30 p.m.

Three days into their annual summer camp, about 600 Labor Party youth activists from all over Norway hear the first, vague news of a bombing in the capital, Oslo, about 20 miles away. Far too distant to see billowing smoke or hear sirens. No way to tell how bad the explosion might be.

For some, a main concern is whether the camp will continue, and whether Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg will still visit their lake-locked retreat.

4:30 p.m.

As footage of destruction and news of deaths confirm the huge scale of the Oslo explosion, Utoya's campers gather in worried huddles and talk quietly at tentsides, in the cafeteria, at fir-lined coves and the island's tiny harbor. They touch foreheads while watching news on their smart phones. Those from Oslo call parents and siblings to confirm they're all right.

"We consoled ourselves that we were safe on an island. No one knew that hell would break out with us too," one Oslo Labor activist, Prableen Kaur, wrote on her blog the next day.

The 'policeman' arrives

5 p.m.

Amid the coming and going of several small boats, a lone policeman arrives.

The officer is armed unusually — with two firearms visible on his hip and shoulder. He says he's there to boost security. To ensure that they're safe.

Then, witnesses say, he raises his assault rifle and opens fire with bursts of automatic fire. His hunt of defenseless left-wing political activists has begun.

Chaos breaks out

5:10 p.m.

At the camp's food hall, Jorgen Benone is still talking with friends about the Oslo attack as they hear "panic down by the water."

"We were wondering: What's happening? Is it some balloons exploding or is somebody kidding?" he says. "Then we started to understand that people actually had been shot. Chaos broke out everywhere, and everyone started to run."

People at the camp report trying to call Norway's emergency services but are told to keep off the line unless they're calling about the Oslo bomb.

5:15 p.m.

Witnesses say the gunman enters a village of tents, the residential heart of the weeklong retreat, and spots desperate individuals hoping he'll spare them if they run back inside their homes. But the killer is seen working his way tent by tent, shooting many point-blank, one by one.

5:20 p.m.

Labor activist Kaur joins a group of panicked, confused campers. They are running from the approaching gunman, his "POLICE" moniker crystal-clear to see from even middle distance.

"My first thought was: Why are the police shooting at us? What the hell?" she wrote on her blog.

More than a dozen crowd into a dark corner of a camp building, and all lie down on the floor. She cries quietly — then sees her best friend from camp, a boy, through a window.

"I wondered if I should go out and bring him to me. I did not. I saw fear in his eyes," she wrote.

'I hope ... God saw me'

5:25 p.m.

Kaur says a burst of gunfire extremely close to the building triggers panic and the entire group leaps out of a far window. Several suffer injuries, including a girl with a broken ankle, but the shooter doesn't immediately pursue them. She takes new cover behind a low brick wall, telephones her mother on her cell phone, and sends a text to her father.

"Many were there," she wrote. "I prayed, prayed, prayed. I hope that God saw me."

5:30 p.m.

As the gunman picks off lone campers who run from their hiding spots as he draws near, many find themselves at the shoreline with only one apparent escape route — the water.

Kaur says the gunman tries to draw out the hiders near the brick wall, shouting, "I'm from the police!" Campers shout back, "Prove it!" He shoots at those who move. She lies still, on top of the legs of a teenage girl covered in blood.

5:38 p.m.

A SWAT team is deployed from Oslo. They drive rather than take a helicopter, police say — because the chopper would take too long to prepare for flight.

Horror on the water

5:45 p.m.

At another camp site on the mainland shore near Utoya Island, camp owner Brede Johbraaten has been listening to the sound of gunfire — sometimes lone pops, other times staccato bursts — waft across the humid evening air for more than half an hour.

But it's only now that he discovers the horror unfolding some 800 yards of frigid water away.

The first survivors, among the strongest and luckiest, have swum the full distance. They aren't wounded but say many of their camp mates are dying in the water behind, some bleeding to death from bullet wounds, others cramping up and drowning.

Johbraaten, 59, and other campers rally several small craft to join a local flotilla converging on the island from several points, including another island to the north. They pluck both flailing swimmers and lifeless bodies from the surface.

"It was hard for some of these youngsters to swim a distance of 800 meters (about half a mile) under these conditions," Johbraaten said.

Amid the chaos, the arriving SWAT team complains that no boats have remained on shore as they'd expected, compounding the delay.

6 p.m.

Witnesses lying low behind rocks, aware that the "policeman" is really the threat, watch helplessly as four campers run to the officer for help — and are each killed with shots to the head.

6:20 p.m.

Police say the SWAT team finally reaches the island and fans out, still unaware of how many gunmen they're trying to find.

Jorgen Benone, a camper, has remained behind the same boulder, trying not to move.

"I felt it was best not to sit quietly, not to run in the open because then he could see me. ... I thought of all the people I love, and how I just wanted to go home."

Gunman arrested

6:35 p.m.

Police say they find the gunman and order him to lay down his weapons. He complies and is arrested.

Around this time, Kaur says she finally plucks up the courage to stand up — and sees that she has been lying on a lifeless teenage girl: "My guardian angel," she calls her. She jumps into the water to join a group of campers clinging to a large inner tube. A passing rescue boat throws them all life vests but is too full with other rescued campers and can't collect them.

7 p.m.

The private rescue flotilla continues to circle the island in search of survivors. The boats come closer now that the shooting has stopped. Kaur is scooped from the water. But many campers fear leaving their hiding spots.

Benone sees several boats approaching but wonders if these rescuers might be killers, too, and hesitates.

"I didn't know if I could trust them. I didn't know who I could trust anymore," he says. "But I started waving and jumped into the water. I was crying, that's how happy I was. But I was so cold. Ice cold."

Information from the New York Times was used in this report.

For 2 hours, nowhere to run 07/23/11 [Last modified: Saturday, July 23, 2011 10:50pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

Copyright: For copyright information, please check with the distributor of this item, Associated Press.

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours