Overcast72° WeatherOvercast72° Weather

Gang in Mexico massacre tries to silence investigation

MEXICO CITY — The criminal gang behind the slaying of 72 migrants late last month is suspected of killing those close to the case in an attempt to shut down further investigation.

Officials said late Tuesday that they thought two bodies recovered earlier in the week are of a prosecutor and a local investigator looking into the massacre, which was discovered on Aug. 24.

The bodies contained ID cards identifying them as state prosecutor Roberto Jaime Suarez Vazquez and Juan Carlos Suarez Sanchez, a local security official. Both had been assigned to investigate the massacre, the attorney general's office of Tamaulipas state said in a statement. Officials are conducting DNA tests to confirm the identities.

They're the latest, but not the only, people slain in the aftermath of the killings of the 58 men and 14 women, whose bound bodies were found slumped against a wall at a remote ranch in San Fernando, near the Texas border.

Also this week, police discovered the bodies of three of the alleged gunmen who carried out the massacre, a sign that the criminal gang behind the migrant abduction and murders may be systematically eliminating those who carried out the massacre.



Gang in Mexico massacre tries to silence investigation 09/08/10 [Last modified: Wednesday, September 8, 2010 10:21pm]

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...