Monday, May 21, 2018

Health insurance mandate misses many

THE WEEK THAT WAS

WINNER: Florida businesses

They'll benefit from more than $1 billion in tax cuts signed into law by Gov. Rick Scott on Wednesday.

LOSER: Tampa Bay commuters

Getting to work becomes more costly, because of rising gas prices, and takes longer, because of big spring break crowds.

If the Supreme Court upholds the health care law's mandate that most Americans obtain medical insurance, the impact will be surprisingly limited. The Urban Institute found that the insurance mandate would force only 18.2 million Americans — 7 percent of the nonelderly population — to buy health coverage. The other 93 percent either have health insurance or would fall under various exemptions included in the law. Of the 18.2 million uninsured people who would be required to buy coverage, nearly 11 million would be eligible for subsidized premiums. That would leave 7.3 million people — 3 percent of the nonelderly population — who would be required by the mandate to buy coverage at full cost or pay a penalty.

Kevin Sack, New York Times

Comments
Lightning-Capitals: Tom Jones’ takeaways from Washington’s Game 6 win

Lightning-Capitals: Tom Jones’ takeaways from Washington’s Game 6 win

Caps D Dmitry Orlov has one of the most wicked slap shots in hockey. When he stepped into one in the first period, Lightning D Ryan McDonagh threw his body in front of it and blocked it with his shoulder — just inches from his face. McDonagh sh...
Updated: 4 minutes ago
Lightning-Capitals: Grading Tampa Bay’s Game 6 shutout loss

Lightning-Capitals: Grading Tampa Bay’s Game 6 shutout loss

Let's do it one more time, shall we?Game 7 it will be.If it matches Game 6, it will be extraordinary.The Lightning could not close the door on the Washington Capitals. The Caps, who apparently really don't want to lose this series, won a pressurized ...
Updated: 18 minutes ago
Lightning-Capitals: Washington forces Game 7 with 3-0 victory

Lightning-Capitals: Washington forces Game 7 with 3-0 victory

WASHINGTON — Maybe this is how it should be. Maybe this is how it's supposed to be.Either way, it's how it WILL be. One game to decide the NHL's Eastern Conference.Game 7.Get ready, Tampa Bay, because it's coming. Wednesday night at Amalie...
Updated: 28 minutes ago
FPL parent wants to expand its Florida footprint with new purchase

FPL parent wants to expand its Florida footprint with new purchase

TALLAHASSEE — The parent company of Florida utility giant Florida Power & Light announced Monday that it will buy the largest electricity producer in Northwest Florida, Gulf Power, in a $6.4 billion deal.Juno Beach-based NextEra Energy Inc. said in a...
Updated: 1 hour ago
Rain can’t stop hundreds of Lightning fans from watching Game 6

Rain can’t stop hundreds of Lightning fans from watching Game 6

TAMPA — If the Tampa Bay Lightning can overcome a 2-game deficit to the Washington Capitals and take a 3-2 lead in the Eastern Conference final, then Deborah Schmeltzer can definitely drive across the Howard Frankland Bridge through a driving rainsto...
Updated: 1 hour ago
Lightning journal: Capitals had a shot at Jon Cooper

Lightning journal: Capitals had a shot at Jon Cooper

WASHINGTON — Interesting how things work out in the world of hockey.Back in 2012, the first NHL team to ever interview Jon Cooper for a head coaching job was actually the Washington Capitals. The Caps general manager at the time was George McPh...
Updated: 2 hours ago
Asian markets mostly lower after Wall Street gains

Asian markets mostly lower after Wall Street gains

Asian markets have mostly declined after Wall Street gained as Italy moved toward forming a euroskeptic-led government
Updated: 2 hours ago
Prepare yourselves: Golden Knights will be talk of the Stanley Cup final

Prepare yourselves: Golden Knights will be talk of the Stanley Cup final

WASHINGTON — It's incredible. Unbelievable, really. Maybe the best sports story in this country and the sport of hockey since 1980's Miracle on Ice.And, as a side note, if the Lightning reaches the Stanley Cup final, everyone in the country out...
Updated: 2 hours ago
Result of US-China talks: Short-term relief, long-term risks

Result of US-China talks: Short-term relief, long-term risks

US and China 'not out of the danger zone yet' on trade dispute after fragile cease-fire
Updated: 3 hours ago
One of Ybor City’s most historic blocks about to see construction of four-story boutique hotel

One of Ybor City’s most historic blocks about to see construction of four-story boutique hotel

TAMPA — Developers are poised to launch construction this week on one of Ybor City’s biggest new projects in years — a four-story, $50 million boutique hotel being created by a Chicago company that seeks out neighborhoods rich in color and character....
Updated: 3 hours ago