Make us your home page

Judge sentences Ohio killer of 11 to death

CLEVELAND — A serial killer was sentenced to death Friday for murdering 11 troubled women and scattering their remains around his property, horrors that shook the city over police handling of crime in poor neighborhoods.

Anthony Sowell, 51, his eyes closed at times, sat impassively as Judge Dick Ambrose — accepting the recommendation of jurors who convicted Sowell of aggravated murder — announced 11 death sentences.

Jurors, some wiping tears, returned to court to watch. The judge had the option of reducing the sentence to life in prison without chance of parole.

The judge alluded to Sowell's stone-faced demeanor, saying he doubted it would have prompted reaction if the photos of victims had been brought into court daily, as some relatives of victims wanted.

Sowell never looked at relatives as they spoke during the sentencing hearing. He ignored the judge when asked if he wanted to speak and again when asked to sign a legal document.

"That's his personality," defense attorney Rufus Sims said later.

Fellow defense attorney John Parker said he had no comment on the sentence.

By law, Sowell's conviction and death sentence will be automatically appealed to the Ohio Supreme Court. That process could take 10 years or more, Cuyahoga County prosecutor Bill Mason said.

Sowell was arrested on Halloween 2009, two days after police went to his house on a sexual-assault complaint and began finding bodies. He went on trial in June and was convicted July 22 on 82 counts: aggravated murder, kidnapping, corpse abuse and evidence tampering.

Some families complained that police hadn't taken the women's disappearances seriously, in part because some victims had drug histories, criminal records or had disappeared repeatedly. After the bodies were found, the mayor ordered a review of police handling of missing-person and sex-crime investigations.

Sowell's victims began disappearing in 2007. Prosecutors say he lured them to his home with the promise of alcohol or drugs.

Police discovered the first two bodies and a freshly dug grave in late 2009 after officers went to investigate a woman's report that she had been raped there.

The victims were disposed of in garbage bags and plastic sheets, then dumped in various parts of the house and yard.

The rotting bodies created an overpowering stench that neighbors blamed on an adjacent sausage factory. The owner spent $20,000 on new plumbing fixtures and sewer lines, to no avail.

Judge sentences Ohio killer of 11 to death 08/12/11 [Last modified: Friday, August 12, 2011 9:50pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

Copyright: For copyright information, please check with the distributor of this item, Associated Press.

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours