L.A. sheriff reopens investigation of Natalie Wood' death

LOS ANGELES — Thirty years after Natalie Wood died, the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said Thursday it was reopening the investigation into one of Hollywood's most enduring mysteries.

Wood was boating off Santa Catalina Island on Thanksgiving weekend 1981 with her husband, Robert Wagner, fellow actor Christopher Walken and others when she somehow went overboard and died. Officials ruled her death an accident, but there has been much speculation since over whether more was involved.

Sheriff Lee Baca said detectives want to talk to the boat captain, Dennis Davern, after learning of comments he recently made about what happened on board.

A law enforcement source told the Los Angeles Times the department recently received a letter from an unidentified "third party" who said the captain had "new recollections" about the case.

Davern, co-authored Goodbye Natalie, Goodbye Splendour last year in which he described bitter arguments aboard the boat that weekend. On CNN last year, Davern said he thought the investigation was woefully incomplete.

L.A. sheriff reopens investigation of Natalie Wood' death 11/17/11 [Last modified: Thursday, November 17, 2011 11:18pm]

Copyright: For copyright information, please check with the distributor of this item, Los Angeles Times.
    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...