Overcast69° WeatherOvercast69° Weather

Libya says Gadhafi son to be tried at home

ZINTAN, Libya — Libya's new leaders said Sunday they will try Moammar Gadhafi's son at home and not hand him over to the International Criminal Court where he is charged with crimes against humanity. The government also announced the capture of the toppled regime's intelligence minister, who is also wanted by the court.

In one of several emerging complications, however, the former rebel faction that captured Seif al-Islam Gadhafi a day earlier is refusing to deliver him to national authorities in Tripoli. That raises concern over whether he will get a proper trial and demonstrates the interim leaders' weak hold over their fractured nation.

In the capital, Information Minister Mahmoud Shammam said former Intelligence Minister Abdullah al-Senoussi was captured on Sunday by revolutionary fighters from a southern region called Fazan, not far from where Gadhafi's son was seized on Saturday while trying to flee to neighboring Niger.

It was not clear whether his captors would also resist turning him over to Tripoli.

Though they are wanted by the International Criminal Court in The Hague, Netherlands, Libya will likely seek to try both men at home.

Speaking earlier in the day, before al-Senoussi's capture, the information minister said Seif al-Islam, the ousted Libyan leader's onetime heir apparent, must be tried in Libya even though the country's new leaders have yet to establish a court system.

"It is only fair for the Libyan people that he is tried here. …Seif al-Islam committed crimes against the Libyan people," Shammam told the Associated Press.

The ICC indicted the two men along with Moammar Gadhafi in June for unleashing a campaign of murder and torture to suppress the uprising against the regime that broke out in mid February.

ICC spokesman Fadi El Abdallah said Libya would have to convincingly lay out its arguments in what is called a "challenge of admissibility" if it wanted to try the two men at home.

WEAPONS INQUIRY: The Obama administration is investigating whether Iran supplied the Libyan government of Moammar Gadhafi with hundreds of special artillery shells for chemical weapons that Libya kept secret for decades, the Washington Post reported Sunday, citing unnamed U.S. officials. The paper said the shells, which Libya filled with toxic mustard agent, were uncovered in recent weeks by revolutionary fighters at two sites in central Libya.

Libya says Gadhafi son to be tried at home 11/20/11 [Last modified: Sunday, November 20, 2011 10:55pm]

Copyright: For copyright information, please check with the distributor of this item, Associated Press.
    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...