Clear68° WeatherClear68° Weather

Libyan government says NATO responsible for deaths from airstrikes

ZLITAN, Libya — The Libyan government showed foreign journalists on Monday a destroyed flu clinic and food warehouses it said had been hit earlier in the day by NATO airstrikes, killing eight people.

The attacks took place in the government-held town of Zlitan, 90 miles east of the capital, Tripoli, and not far from the country's front line, where rebels are battling Moammar Gadhafi's forces.

NATO denied, however, that it had targeted civilians and said it had hit only a number of military objectives in the area.

Even as government minders took journalists to what they described as sites of the latest NATO attacks, the rumbling of artillery and explosions could be heard to the east of Zlitan. In late afternoon, on the eastern edge of the city, journalists saw two airstrikes, with their distinctive mushroom cloud explosions.

Yemen: A powerful tribal leader, Sheik Sadeq al-Ahmar, warned against attacks on antigovernment protesters, as hundreds of thousands rallied in the capital, Sana, and several other cities calling for regime change

Egypt: A Cairo court combined the trials of ousted President Hosni Mubarak and his former interior minister on charges they ordered the killings of protesters during Egypt's uprising. The trial for Mubarak, his former security chief Habib el-Adly and six aides will start Aug. 3.

Libyan government says NATO responsible for deaths from airstrikes 07/25/11 [Last modified: Monday, July 25, 2011 11:54pm]

Copyright: For copyright information, please check with the distributor of this item, Associated Press.
    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...