Partly Cloudy87° WeatherPartly Cloudy87° Weather

Murdoch to pay $3.2 million to schoolgirl's family in hacking case

LONDON — Rupert Murdoch's company said Friday it has agreed to pay $3.2 million to the family of a murdered schoolgirl whose phone was hacked by the tabloid News of the World.

News International and the family of Milly Dowler confirmed the settlement in a joint statement.

Murdoch shut down the 168-year-old News of the World in July after evidence emerged that its reporters had eavesdropped on the telephone voice mail messages of the 13-year-old who disappeared in 2002 and was later found murdered.

The statement said Murdoch also will donate $1.6 million to charities chosen by her family.

"Nothing that has been agreed will ever bring back Milly or undo the traumas of her disappearance and the horrendous murder trial earlier this year," the Dowlers said in the statement. "The only way that a fitting tribute could be agreed was to ensure that a very substantial donation to charity was made in Milly's memory."

The revelation that reporters eavesdropped on Milly Dowler's voice mail messages while police were searching for her — and mounting evidence that phone hacking was routine at the newspaper — shook Murdoch's media empire, and sent tremors through Britain's political, police and media establishments.

Murdoch to pay $3.2 million to schoolgirl's family in hacking case 10/22/11 [Last modified: Saturday, October 22, 2011 12:04am]

Copyright: For copyright information, please check with the distributor of this item, Associated Press.
    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...