Make us your home page

Pole who spirited Jewish woman from Auschwitz dies

WARSAW, Poland — The young Catholic man spirited his Jewish girlfriend out of Auschwitz in 1944, saving her life. Yet it took 39 years for them to see each other again.

Jerzy Bielecki, a German-speaking Polish inmate at the same Nazi death camp, lived to age 90 and died in his sleep on Thursday (Oct. 20, 2011) at his home in Nowy Targ in southern Poland, his daughter, Alicja Januchowski, said Saturday.

Januchowski, a New Yorker, spoke to the Associated Press from Nowy Targ, where she had been with her ailing father.

The Yad Vashem Institute in Jerusalem awarded Mr. Bielecki the Righteous Among the Nations title in 1985 for saving the girlfriend, Cyla Cybulska. It all happened in July 1944, when Mr. Bielecki, then 23, used his relatively privileged position in Auschwitz to orchestrate a daring escape for both of them.

He was 19 when the Germans seized him on the false suspicion he was a resistance fighter, and brought him to Auschwitz in April 1940 in the first transport of inmates, all Poles. He was given number 243.

Cybulska, her parents, two brothers and a younger sister were rounded up in January 1943 in the Lomza ghetto in northern Poland and taken to Auschwitz-Birkenau. Her parents and sister were immediately killed in the gas chambers, but she and her brothers were sent to work.

By September, Cybulska, then 22, was the only one left alive, with inmate number 29558 tattooed on her left forearm.

They met and their love blossomed, making Mr. Bielecki determined to find a way to escape.

From a fellow Polish inmate working at a uniform warehouse, Mr. Bielecki got a complete SS uniform and a pass. Dressed as an SS officer, he pretended to take a Jewish inmate out of the camp for interrogation. He led Cybulska to a side gate, where a sleepy SS man let them go through.

The fear of being gunned down reverberated through his first steps of freedom.

"I felt pain in my backbone, where I was expecting to be shot," Mr. Bielecki told the AP in an interview in 2010.

For more than a week they hid in the fields during the day and marched during the night, until they reached the house of Mr. Bielecki's uncle. There, they were separated, as the family wanted Mr. Bielecki back home in Krakow, and Cybulska was sent to hide with a farm family.

Mr. Bielecki stayed in Poland and settled in Nowy Targ, where he raised a family and worked as the director of a school for bus and car mechanics. Cybulska married a Jewish man, David Zacharowitz, with whom she went to Sweden and then to New York.

Sheer chance allowed them to meet again. While talking with her Polish cleaning woman in 1982, Cybulska related her Ausch­witz escape story.

The woman, stunned, said she had heard Mr. Bielecki tell the same story on Polish TV. She then helped Cybulska find Mr. Bielecki in Poland.

In the summer of 1983, they met at the Krakow airport. He brought 39 red roses, one for each year they had spent apart.

She died in New York in 2002.

Mr. Bielecki is survived by his wife, two daughters, four grandchildren and great-grandson. A Catholic funeral Mass and burial will be Monday in Nowy Targ.

Pole who spirited Jewish woman from Auschwitz dies 10/22/11 [Last modified: Saturday, October 22, 2011 10:29pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

Copyright: For copyright information, please check with the distributor of this item, Associated Press.

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours