Make us your home page

Saddam Hussein was telling truth about missing Gulf War pilot

Marines work to recover evidence and remains at the crash site of Navy Capt. Michael “Scott” Speicher in July. His plane was shot down Jan. 17, 1991, over Anbar province in Iraq.

Associated Press

Marines work to recover evidence and remains at the crash site of Navy Capt. Michael “Scott” Speicher in July. His plane was shot down Jan. 17, 1991, over Anbar province in Iraq.

WASHINGTON — Saddam Hussein was telling the truth, this time. The United States just didn't believe him.

So it took the most powerful military in the world 18 years to find the remains of the only U.S. Navy pilot shot down in an aerial battle in the 1991 Persian Gulf War.

Michael "Scott" Speicher's bones lay 18 inches deep in Iraqi sand, more or less right where a group of Iraqis had led an American search team in 1995.

The search for Speicher, an aviator from Jacksonville, was frustrated by two wars, mysteriously switched remains, Iraqi duplicity and a final tip from a young nomad in Anbar province.

U.S. officials often were blinded by the same myopia that tainted prewar intelligence — the American conviction that Hussein's government lied about everything. As it turned out, sometimes officials told the truth.

For more than a decade, speculation swirled that the 33-year-old Speicher, a lieutenant commander when he disappeared, had been captured alive. That was disproved by the team that found and confirmed his remains.

"He wasn't captured or tortured," said Thomas Brown, chief of the Intelligence Community POW/MIA analytic cell at the Defense Intelligence Agency. Brown, who worked on Speicher's case for 15 years, described how the threads leading to the pilot got so tangled.

Speicher was shot down by an Iraqi MiG 100 miles west of Baghdad on Jan. 17, 1991, the first day of the war to drive Hussein's invading forces from Kuwait. Then-Defense Secretary Dick Cheney announced the pilot's death as the first casualty of the war, but no search and rescue effort was launched.

When the war ended that March, the United States demanded the return of Speicher's remains. But because of a data glitch, the United States erroneously pinpointed his crash site south of Baghdad.

The Iraqis were puzzled. They knew an F-18 had been shot down west of the capital. But they followed the botched U.S. coordinates and searched for Speicher's plane in the south, finding nothing.

The search was soon complicated by the Iraqi discovery of a different crash site — of a downed Air Force A-10 fighter. The Iraqis brought the unidentified American A-10 pilot's remains to a Basrah hospital for safekeeping, labeling them "Mickel."

Just before those remains were to be handed over to the United States, Shiites rebelling against Hussein seized the hospital, forcing Iraqi officials to make a hasty gamble. If they didn't turn over the pilot's remains, they would be in violation of the U.N. resolution ending the war, and the war would not be officially over. So the Iraqis instead handed over to American authorities a 4-pound piece of another cadaver and said it belonged to "Mickel."

U.S. officials already had accounted for the dead A-10 pilot, so the unidentified remains stumped them. Were they Speicher's?

By May 1991, DNA tests ruled that out. Iraq was being duplicitous, but the United States couldn't figure out what was behind the switch.

Rumors from Hussein's inner circle about the "Mickel" remains began to morph into whispering that the Iraqis held a live American pilot. The rumors were picked up by U.S. intelligence.

Two years later, in 1993, Speicher's crash site was found by a party of Qatari falcon hunters. The hunters gave the U.S. Embassy in Qatar a piece of a plane containing a serial number that matched Speicher's F-18.

U.S. military officials began planning an operation to retrieve Speicher's remains. The plan was dropped in 1995 when the Red Cross secured permission from Iraq for a humanitarian search team to excavate the crash site.

Shepherded by Iraqi officials, the search team was led by a local Bedouin boy to Speicher's half-buried flight suit. Nearby were expended flares, part of an ejection seat and pieces of a life raft. But the searchers found no remains. They left suspicious, convinced that they had been set up even though Brown now says Hussein's government was telling the truth about the site.

In January 2001, President Bill Clinton changed Speicher's status from killed in action to missing, echoing U.S. belief he could be alive. An intelligence assessment said Speicher probably had survived the crash and Iraq was either holding him prisoner or hiding his remains.

In the summer of 2002, as the Bush administration prepared to invade Iraq, new intelligence intercepts suggested Speicher was being moved between dozens of secret sites inside Iraq.

Before the 2003 invasion, "we were positive we were getting him back," said Buddy Harris, a Speicher friend who later married the pilot's widow. "We were getting ready to go over and meet with him."

Brown believes the Iraqi government was trying to convince President George W. Bush that Speicher was still alive to protect Hussein from being targeted when the invasion came.

If that was the motivation, it backfired. Bush used Speicher's case as more evidence that Hussein had to be ousted.

After the U.S. invasion, searchers continued to press every lead. For six years, soldiers and Marines deployed in Anbar were told to ask people there if they had heard anything about the missing American pilot.

The instructions finally paid off in July. A sheik told Marines of a bedouin who remembered a burial 20 years earlier. The sheik couldn't recall the exact location, but it was enough for the Marines. They returned to the old site that had frustrated the Red Cross searchers and with 100 men, bulldozers and back hoes, they turned over four football fields worth of desert, 4 feet deep.

The earth yielded another piece of a pilot's flight suit and a jaw bone. The teeth matched the missing pilot's dental records. Michael Scott Speicher, who reached the rank of captain because he kept receiving promotions while his status was unknown, had been there all along, Brown said.


As of Saturday, 4,366 U.S. troops have died in the Iraq war. Identifications as reported by the military and not previously published:

Army Sgt. Briand T. Williams, 25, Sparks, Ga.; insurgent attack Nov. 22; Numaniyah.

Saddam Hussein was telling truth about missing Gulf War pilot 11/28/09 [Last modified: Saturday, November 28, 2009 8:41pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

Copyright: For copyright information, please check with the distributor of this item, Associated Press.

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours