Friday, June 22, 2018

Samsung accuses Apple of trying to limit consumer choice

SEOUL, South Korea — Samsung on Saturday accused Apple of resorting to litigation in an effort to limit consumer choice after the iPhone maker said it was seeking to stop the sale of Galaxy S III smartphones in the United States.

Fresh from its $1 billion court victory over Samsung Electronics Co., Apple Inc., in a separate case, asked a federal district court in San Jose, Calif., on Friday to add four more products to a list of Samsung goods that Apple says infringe its patents.

The new list of 21 products includes Samsung's flagship smartphone Galaxy S III as well as the Galaxy Note, another popular Android phone. If the court finds those devices are infringing Apple's patents and irreparably harming the U.S. company, it could temporarily halt sales in the U.S. market even before the trial begins.

The latest accusation is part of a larger, epic struggle over patents and innovation in one of the most lucrative consumer electronics sectors that is unfolding in 10 countries.

The biggest stakes are in the United States, the world's largest smartphone market in 2011. Last month, a jury in the San Jose court found that Samsung had copied Apple's design innovations and Samsung was ordered to pay Apple $1.05 billion. Samsung has vowed to appeal the verdict, all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court if necessary.

On Saturday, Samsung denounced Apple's attempt to halt sales of the S III, which hit the 10 million global sales mark in July, less than three months after its release. "Apple continues to resort to litigation over market competition in an effort to limit consumer choice," Samsung said in a statement. "We will continue to take the necessary legal measures to ensure the availability of our innovative products in the United States."

The strong sales of the S III were crucial in driving Samsung's quarterly profit to a record high in the last quarter and helped it stay ahead in the worldwide smartphone market.

In documents filed with San Jose federal district court on Friday, Apple said 21 Samsung smartphones, media players and tablets released after August 2011 were "copycat products."

"Rather than innovate and develop its own technology and a unique Samsung style for its smartphone and tablet computer products, Samsung has chosen to copy Apple's technology, user interface, and innovative style," Apple said in one document.

The Cupertino, Calif.-based company claimed that Samsung is illegally using its eight patents. One patent is related to the way the device retrieves information in a computer system and another is about gestures on a touchscreen display to unlock a device.

Apple and Samsung are the world's two largest smartphone makers and together they control over half of the global market. They are embroiled in similar legal tussles in Asia, Europe and the United States. In April 2011, Apple first accused Samsung of illegally copying Apple's design and technology in the smartphones powered by Google Inc.'s Android technology. Samsung countersued, arguing Apple's iPhone and iPad used its wireless technology without permission.

Comments
Confirmed: Nelson and Scott in dogfight

Confirmed: Nelson and Scott in dogfight

Sen. Bill Nelson and Gov. Rick Scott remain neck-and-neck in their high profile showdown, a poll released today to the Tampa Bay Times shows.Nelson gets 48 percent of the vote with Scott taking 46 percent, within the margin of error of +/- 4 percenta...
Updated: 24 minutes ago
The Daystarter: The Jameis Winston fallout; from CIA agents to minivan drivers; Pride comes back together in 2018

The Daystarter: The Jameis Winston fallout; from CIA agents to minivan drivers; Pride comes back together in 2018

Catching you up on overnight happenings, and what to know today.ē Get ready for a wet morning as the forecast calls for scattered showers and storms to start the day. There could even be thundershowers and lightning out there, according to 10Weather...
Updated: 29 minutes ago
Boy George, coming to Tampa with Culture Club, talks fame, Pulse and the term ‘LGBTQ’

Boy George, coming to Tampa with Culture Club, talks fame, Pulse and the term ‘LGBTQ’

It’ll still be June when Boy George arrives in Florida this week to kick off a summer U.S. tour with Culture Club. But the LGBTQ icon says it won’t feel quite like a Pride parade. "I also bake cakes for straight people," he laughed. "Tha...
Updated: 1 hour ago
St. Petersburg couple drive a minivan, volunteer at church and were CIA spies

St. Petersburg couple drive a minivan, volunteer at church and were CIA spies

What's it like to start a family when you're working for the CIA? Jihi and Andrew Bustamante know.
Updated: 1 hour ago
Pride divided no more: St. Pete Pride comes back together

Pride divided no more: St. Pete Pride comes back together

ST. PETERSBURG — The 16th annual St. Pete Pride Parade is getting ready to march along the downtown waterfront the second straight year. But many hope to move past the division caused last year when the parade was uprooted from its original hom...
Updated: 1 hour ago
The Latest: Iran says OPEC won't take direction from Trump

The Latest: Iran says OPEC won't take direction from Trump

Iran's oil minister is insisting that OPEC's place is not to take instructions from U.S. President Donald Trump but is leaving open Tehran's position on an increase in production.
Updated: 1 hour ago
Senegal, Japan: underdogs aiming for a round of 16 spot

Senegal, Japan: underdogs aiming for a round of 16 spot

After upsets in the opening games it's times for Japan and Senegal to meet at the World Cup
Updated: 1 hour ago

Greek financial markets rally on deal paving to bailout exit

Greece's financial markets rally on news that the country's creditors have agreed to debt relief measures that pave the way for an end to the nation's eight-year bailout program in two months
Updated: 1 hour ago

AP Top News at 6:16 a.m. EDT

AP Top News at 6:16 a.m. EDT
Updated: 1 hour ago
'He cried and hugged me': Brazilian still separated from son

'He cried and hugged me': Brazilian still separated from son

A Brazilian man who was detained at the US-Mexico border was separated from his 9-year-old son and has not seen him in 26 days
Updated: 1 hour ago