KABUL, Afghanistan — A suicide car bomber blew himself up as a NATO convoy passed his vehicle on the outskirts of the capital on Friday, killing one civilian and wounding two troops, officials said.
NATO said one Afghan civilian was killed in the blast near the entrance to a coalition base south of Kabul. The Afghan Defense Ministry said an Afghan soldier and a NATO service member were wounded in the explosion.
The Hizb-i-Islami group that operates under the leadership of warlord and former Afghan Prime Minister Gulbuddin Hekmatyar claimed responsibility for the attack.
In eastern Afghanistan, a NATO service member was killed in an insurgent attack, the coalition said. No other details were released. So far this year, 626 U.S. and international troops have died in Afghanistan, according to a count by the Associated Press.
Also on Friday, the coalition killed at least seven insurgents in an airstrike on a Taliban command center in the Naw Zad district of Helmand province in the south. Afghan and NATO troops continue to battle a resilient insurgency in Helmand while Afghan officials work to improve governance and rush development into the region.
Intelligence information and tips from local citizens led the coalition to the location, which insurgents use as a meeting site. In the past few days, numerous armed insurgents had been seen coming and going from the location, the coalition said.
NATO said that on Thursday at least 15 militants were killed by a fierce round of fighting in Helmand province and 15 more were detained during three overnight operations targeting Taliban leaders across Afghanistan.