Friday, May 25, 2018

Suspect taken to Kuwait

WASHINGTON — The American staff sergeant suspected of killing 16 Afghan villagers was flown to Kuwait from Afghanistan on Wednesday, U.S. officials said.

New evidence emerged to support the case that the sergeant acted alone: A surveillance video shows his return after the massacre to the remote American outpost where he surrendered. But he has not been named or formally charged.

Two military officials told McClatchy Newspapers on Wednesday that investigators combing his medical records had found "no smoking gun" to explain the rampage.

The officials said that the suspect — a 38-year-old father who survived three tours in Iraq before deploying to Afghanistan in December — had no evidence of a serious traumatic brain injury or of post-traumatic stress.

The officials called the suspect's 10-year Army career "unremarkable" and said he hadn't had reports of discipline problems while in Afghanistan.

The lack of a clear cause and effect had Pentagon officials admitting they're befuddled by what caused the attack. The suspect was apprehended as he returned to the base. He acknowledged the killings, then asked for an attorney and isn't cooperating with the investigation, officials said.

The sergeant is suspected of having left his outpost in Kandahar province about 1 a.m. Sunday, walked a mile, entered three homes and fired upon unarmed villagers, killing 16 — including nine children — and wounding several others, some critically, according to Afghan officials. American officials haven't confirmed the number of casualties.

Military investigators arrived at the crime scenes hours after the shooting and collected shell casings and other evidence. But many of the victims already had been buried in accordance with Islamic customs, the officials said.

Investigators are pursuing a variety of explanations for the killings. Alcohol was found at his small outpost in Kandahar's Panjwai district, but officials haven't determined whether alcohol or drugs contributed to the attack.

They are also probing whether an email that the sergeant reportedly received from his wife about their failing marriage could have prompted the incident.

Navy Capt. John Kirby, a Pentagon spokesman, said the suspect was flown to an undisclosed U.S. military facility in another country because there was no long-term facility to hold him in Afghanistan. Charging the suspect outside of Afghanistan also could mean that not all Afghan witnesses will appear at his trial.

Pentagon officials have suggested he will be charged with premeditated murder, which could carry the death penalty.

The suspect's family is in protective custody, Army officials said.

Information from the New York Times and McClatchy Newspapers was used in this report.

Comments
For starters: Sergio Romo on mound tonight as Rays open series against Orioles

For starters: Sergio Romo on mound tonight as Rays open series against Orioles

By JOEY JOHNSTONTimes CorrespondentST. PETERSBURG — For openers, the Rays will use RHP Sergio Romo, the 35-year-old career reliever, as tonight's starter against the Baltimore Orioles at Tropicana Field.Romo is making his third career "sta...
Updated: 5 minutes ago
Respondents criticize superintendent in Hernando schools survey

Respondents criticize superintendent in Hernando schools survey

Along with complaints about too much testing and the need for more technology in classrooms, Hernando County School District received grumbles against Superintendent Lori Romano in a recent community survey — with some pushing for her firing.Th...
Updated: 5 minutes ago
Did the NFL really need a national anthem policy?

Did the NFL really need a national anthem policy?

Before we even get going, let me be clear about something.This is not a column making an argument about whether or not NFL players should be able to kneel in protest during the national anthem.That topic has been debated repeatedly, loudly and passio...
Updated: 8 minutes ago

Police: Baby not abandoned; mother surrendered infant

TAMPA — A newborn baby initially thought to be found on the ground near a trash can in north Tampa was not abandoned, the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office said Friday.The child’s mother gave birth to the boy Thursday, and she and someone else too...
Updated: 10 minutes ago
With makeover, ZooTampa at Lowry Park takes a page from the theme parks

With makeover, ZooTampa at Lowry Park takes a page from the theme parks

TAMPA — Behind the construction walls near the carousel at ZooTampa at Lowry Park, hammers, saws and power drills made a racket in the blazing Friday heat. A raft full of 100-pound water jugs took test trips on the new Roaring Springs ride set to deb...
Updated: 20 minutes ago

Updated: 1 hour ago

Updated: 1 hour ago

Updated: 1 hour ago

Updated: 1 hour ago

Updated: 1 hour ago