Clear81° WeatherClear81° Weather

Syrian rebels survive onslaught in Aleppo

BEIRUT — The Syrian government launched an offensive Saturday to retake rebel-held neighborhoods in the nation's commercial hub of Aleppo, unleashing artillery, tanks and helicopter gunships against poorly armed opposition fighters.

Yet after a day of fighting, the rag-tag rebel forces remained in control of their neighborhoods in Syria's largest city, said activists, suggesting they had successfully fought off the government's initial assault.

The international community has raised an outcry about a possible massacre in this city of 3 million but acknowledged there was little they could do to stop the bloodshed. The foreign minister of Russia, a powerful ally of Syria, said it was "simply unrealistic" for the Syrian regime to cede control.

The state-controlled al-Watan newspaper celebrated the assault with a banner headline proclaiming the fight for Aleppo "the mother of all battles."

The rebels are estimated to control between a third and a half of the neighborhoods in this sprawling city, especially a cluster in the northeast around Sakhour neighborhood and in the southwest.

They began their attempt to wrest this key city from the government's control a week ago. About 162 people have been killed, mostly civilians, according to the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, which does not include soldiers in its toll. Some 19,000 people have been killed since the uprising began in March 2011, estimated the group.

For Saturday, activists estimate that at least two dozen died in the day's fighting.

Local activist Mohammed Saeed said the rebels managed to keep the regime's tanks at bay with rocket-propelled grenades.

"The army hasn't been able to take any neighborhoods yet, there are too many from the Free Syrian Army," Saeed said, referring to the rebels.

He estimated that about 1,000 fighters had poured into the city in the past few days to take on the Syrian army.

By the end of Saturday, according to the Observatory, the government appeared to have pulled back from its ground offensive and was resuming its bombardment of various neighborhoods with artillery. Attack helicopters pounded rebel positions.

There were few details about the attack in the state press, although it issued a long list of victories across the country against the "terrorists," as the rebels are referred to, a sign of widespread fighting.

U.S. troop deaths in Afghanistan

As of Saturday, 1,928 U.S. troops have died in the war in Afghanistan. Identifications as reported by the U.S. military and not previously published:

Army Staff Sgt. Richard L. Berry, 27, Scottsdale, Ariz; explosion July 22; Kandahar.

Navy Petty Officer 2nd Class Michael J. Brodsky, 33, Tamarac; explosion July 21; Kandahar province.

Army Pfc. Julian L. Colvin, 21, Birmingham, Ala.; explosion July 22; Kandahar.

Marine Sgt. Justin M. Hansen, 26, Traverse City, Mich.; combat Tuesday; Badghis province.

Army Spc. Darrion T. Hicks, 21, Raleigh, N.C.; explosion July 19; Ghazni.

Army Spc. Justin L. Horsley, 21, Palm Bay; explosion July 22; Pul-E Alam.

Army Staff Sgt. Brandon R. Pepper, 31, York, Pa.; combat July 21; Ghazni province.

Army Pfc. Jeffrey L. Rice, 24, Troy, Ohio; unspecified causes July 19; Kandahar.

Army Pfc. Adam C. Ross, 19, Lyman, S.C.; small-arms fire Tuesday; Wardak province.

Army Pfc. Brenden N. Salazar, 20, Chuluota; explosion July 22; Pul-E Alam.

Army Sgt. Eric E. Williams, 27, Murrieta, Calif.; Monday; Pul-E Alam.

Syrian rebels survive onslaught in Aleppo 07/28/12 [Last modified: Sunday, July 29, 2012 12:04am]

Copyright: For copyright information, please check with the distributor of this item, Associated Press.
    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...