Taliban truck bomb kills 2 at NATO base

KABUL, Afghanistan — A large Taliban truck bomb struck the gate of a NATO combat outpost in eastern Afghanistan on Saturday, killing two civilians and injuring others, the coalition said.

No coalition forces were killed in the attack on Combat Outpost Sayed Abad in Wardak province, a statement said. An Afghan official earlier said there was at least one civilian killed.

NATO said none of the injuries were life-threatening. It did not say how many people were injured in the explosion, which came on the eve of the 10th anniversary of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks against the United States.

NATO said the attack was carried out by a suicide bomber who detonated a large bomb inside a truck carrying firewood.

The attack came hours after the Taliban vowed to keep fighting U.S. forces in Afghanistan until all American troops leave the country and stressed that its movement had no role in the Sept. 11 attacks. In a statement e-mailed to media, the Taliban accused the United States of using the Sept. 11 attacks as a pretext to invade Afghanistan.

Deaths

As of Saturday, 1,648 U.S. troops have died in the war in Afghanistan. Identifications as reported by the U.S. military and not previously published:

Army Spc. Christopher J. Scott, 21, Tyrone, N.Y.; small-arms fire Sept. 3; Kandahar province.

Taliban truck bomb kills 2 at NATO base 09/10/11 [Last modified: Saturday, September 10, 2011 8:28pm]

Copyright: For copyright information, please check with the distributor of this item, Associated Press.
    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...