Make us your home page

Traveler launches grisly attack

PORTAGE LA PRAIRIE, Manitoba — A traveler aboard a Greyhound bus repeatedly stabbed and then decapitated his seat mate, pausing during the savage attack in central Canada to display the head to passengers who had fled in horror, witnesses said Thursday.

A 40-year-old man was arrested shortly after the grisly slaying Wednesday night aboard a bus traveling from Edmonton, Alberta, to Winnipeg, Manitoba, Royal Canadian Mounted Police Sgt. Steve Colwell said.

Police apprehended the suspect when he broke a bus window and tried to escape, Colwell said. A motive had not been determined. Authorities declined to identify the suspect or the victim, and provided few details about the attack.

But passenger Gernet Caton said the victim, who appeared to be about 19, was sleeping with headphones on when his seat mate suddenly began stabbing him repeatedly.

"We heard this bloodcurdling scream and turned around, and the guy was standing up, stabbing this guy repeatedly, like 40 or 50 times," Caton said from a hotel in Brandon, Manitoba, where he and other horrified passengers were taken.

Caton said the driver stopped the bus as the savagery progressed and passengers scrambled off. He said the suspect then began methodically carving up the man's body.

"When he was attacking him, he was calm … like he was at the beach," said Caton. "There was no rage or anything. He was just like a robot stabbing the guy."

The bus driver, Caton and a trucker at the scene reboarded to see what was happening.

Caton said he saw the suspect had the victim on the floor of the bus and "was cutting his head off and pretty much gutting him" with a large hunting knife.

The attacker turned toward them and the three men quickly left the bus, blocking the door as the attacker slashed at them through an opening. The three secured the door to prevent the man from fleeing. Caton said the driver disabled the vehicle after the attacker tried to drive it away.

As the three guarded the door with a crow bar and a hammer, the attacker went back to the body and calmly came to the front of the bus to show off the head.

Fellow passenger Cody Olmstead said the man "dropped the head and went back and started cutting the body." Olmstead said the man later taunted police and dropped the head in front of them.

Traveler launches grisly attack 07/31/08 [Last modified: Thursday, July 31, 2008 11:08pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints


Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours