U.K. terror sweep uncovers suicide bomb plot‎

LONDON — Six men appeared in a London court Monday on terrorism charges — three of them charged with plotting suicide bomb attacks in Britain.

The men were arrested in the central England city of Birmingham last week as part of a "major operation" by counterterrorism police and charged late Sunday.

Four are accused of planning a terrorist act.

Three of them, Irfan Nasser, 30, Irfan Khalid, 26, and Ashik Ali, 26, are accused of planning a bombing campaign, making explosives and stating an intention to become suicide bombers.

Nasser and Khalid also are accused of traveling to Pakistan for terrorism training.

Two others are charged with failing to disclose information and one with funding terrorism.

All six appeared at West London Magistrates Court and were remanded in custody until October.

Libya says Lockerbie bombing case closed

LONDON — Scotland has asked Libya's new authorities to help track down those responsible for the 1988 Lockerbie airplane bombing, but the country's transitional justice minister told reporters Monday "the case is closed."

In Tripoli, Mohammed al-Alagi noted that the only person charged with the bombing — former Libyan intelligence officer Abdel Baset al-Megrahi — was freed on compassionate grounds in 2009 because of illness.

There is no reason to keep dragging the case into court, al-Alagi said.

U.K. terror sweep uncovers suicide bomb plot‎ 09/26/11 [Last modified: Monday, September 26, 2011 11:17pm]

Copyright: For copyright information, please check with the distributor of this item, Associated Press.

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...