Clear77° FULL FORECASTClear77° FULL FORECAST
Make us your home page
Instagram

U.S. general apologizes for civilians killed in Afghan airstrike

KABUL, Afghanistan — The top American commander in Afghanistan apologized to Afghans on Friday for a coalition airstrike that killed women and children in Logar province earlier in the week.

Marine Gen. John Allen flew to Logar province, just south of Kabul, to meet with villagers and offer his condolences for the bombing Wednesday that Afghan officials said killed 18 civilians. The airstrike was called in by U.S. troops after they came under fire while pursuing a Taliban fighter in a village in the Baraki Barak district.

"I know that no apology can bring back the lives of the children or the people who perished in this tragedy and this accident, but I want you to know that you have my apology and we will do the right thing by the families," Allen told the Afghans, according to the Associated Press. NATO troops often make condolence payments to the families of victims in civilian casualty incidents.

Allen told an AP reporter traveling with him that the troops did not know there were civilians inside the house.

"They were taken under fire. A hand grenade was thrown. Three of our people were wounded. We called for the people who were shooting to come out, and then the situation became more grave, and innocent people were killed," he told the AP.

"Our weapons killed these people," Allen said.

The house that came under fire reportedly was full of civilians who had attended a wedding the night before. An Afghan doctor who examined the bodies told the AP that a group of Taliban fighters were taking cover among the members of the wedding party and that four women, two elderly men, three teenage boys and nine young children were among the dead. U.S. military spokesman Lt. Col. Jimmie Cummings said a NATO investigation was still under way.

After reports of civilian deaths emerged, President Hamid Karzai called a relative of the victims and cut short a trip to China, where he was participating in a summit in Shanghai. Karzai has voiced concerns about the war's collateral damage for years.

.Fast facts

U.N. condemns deadly attack in Ivory Coast

United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki Moon strongly condemned an ambush in Ivory Coast on Friday that killed seven U.N. peacekeepers and warned that their colleagues are still in danger from the attackers. Ban told reporters that following the attack in southwestern Ivory Coast more than 40 U.N. peacekeepers are remaining with villagers to protect them from the armed group.

Associated Press

U.S. general apologizes for civilians killed in Afghan airstrike 06/09/12 [Last modified: Saturday, June 9, 2012 12:08am]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

Copyright: For copyright information, please check with the distributor of this item, Washington Post.
    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...