CHENGDU, China — Rescuers saved a 35-year-old woman who survived nine days trapped in a tunnel despite multiple fractures, the only survivor found Wednesday in the rubble of China's massive quake zone.
Meanwhile, the government ordered state agencies to cut planned spending by 5 percent this year, which will go to create a $10-billion reconstruction fund, the State Council, China's Cabinet, said in a statement.
Some signs of normalcy returned to the quake area, as schools opened in some of the camps where the homeless were living, but a lack of tents underscored the massive task facing the government in sheltering 5-million who lost their homes.
Countries and organizations heeded China's call for help in sheltering some of the homeless. The U.N. refugee agency said it has offered 11,000 tents, and the European Union offered 7,500 tents along with blankets and medical supplies.
As China switches to reconstruction and recovery operations, state media said the government plans to rebuild Beichuan city, one of the hardest hit, in a new location.
"Safety is the top priority in selecting a new location and reconstruction," the official Xinhua News Agency quoted Beichuan Communist Party chief Song Ming as saying. "We plan to build a monument and a memorial to commemorate the quake victims on the previous location."
The quake survivor found Wednesday, Cui Changhui, had been trapped in a water diversion tunnel at the hydropower plant construction site in Hongbai town in Sichuan province, Xinhua reported. She was taken by helicopter to a hospital to treat multiple fractures in her right arm, ribs and lower back, but Dr. Pu Jinhui said her injuries were not life-threatening, according to the report.