4 of Florida's beaches land in top 10
HONOLULU — Here is the list of top 10 beaches for 2014 compiled by Dr. Beach, aka professor Stephen Leatherman of Florida International University, based on factors that include cleanliness, safety and amenities.
1. Duke Kahanamoku Beach, Waikiki, Oahu, Hawaii
2. Barefoot Beach, Bonita Springs, Florida
3. St. George Island State Park, Florida Panhandle
4. Waimanalo Bay Beach Park, Oahu, Hawaii
5. Hamoa Beach, Maui, Hawaii
6. Cape Hatteras, Outer Banks of North Carolina
7. Cape Florida State Park, Key Biscayne, Florida
8. Coast Guard Beach, Cape Cod, Massachusetts
9. Beachwalker Park, Kiawah Island, South Carolina
10. Delnor-Wiggins Pass State Park, Naples, Florida
STamp is tribute to Milk's legacy
Harvey Milk never lived to see his life's work come to fruition. But on Thursday, some of the elected officials and dignitaries he inspired paid tribute to him in a White House ceremony unveiling a commemorative stamp bearing the image of the slain gay rights leader. Milk, who would have turned 84 on Thursday, was one of the country's first openly gay officeholders, elected to the San Francisco Board of Supervisors in 1977. The cost of a first-class stamp was 13 cents at the time. But Milk's grass roots campaign didn't have enough money to buy them, recalled Anne Kronenberg, a friend and top political aide.