LOS ANGELES — Rocker Tom Petty died last year from "multisystem organ failure" caused by accidental drug toxicity, the Los Angeles County Coroner said Friday.
An autopsy found that Petty had several drugs in his system including fentanyl, oxycodone, temazepam, alprazolam, citalopram, acetylfentanyl and despropionyl fentanyl, the agency said.
"A lot of these are found in prescription drugs," said Brian Elias, a coroner’s spokesman.
He had just wrapped up a tour a few days before he died on Oct. 2 at age 66.
His wife and daughter released the results of Petty’s autopsy via a statement on his Facebook page Friday night. Dana and Adria Petty say they got the results from the coroner’s office earlier in the day that the overdose was caused due to a variety of medications.
Petty suffered from coronary artery atherosclerosis and emphysema. His family also said a fractured hip and knee problems that caused him pain but he was still committed to touring.
He was found unconscious at his Malibu home and taken to UCLA’s Santa Monica hospital in full cardiac arrest. Petty had just completed an extensive tour to mark the Heartbreakers’ 40th anniversary.
It concluded Sept. 25 with a three-night homecoming stand that sold out at the Hollywood Bowl.