The blood spatter covered the hotel desk, unbroken save for a single smudged fingerprint, which caught the detective’s … Just kidding, this is a story about library books. If the top ten most borrowed books lists from local libraries are any indication, though, Tampa Bay loves mystery novels. So hopefully that first sentence hooked you.
Thrillers? Yes, please. Give us drama, suspense, supermarket paperbacks stacked high at the checkout counter. James Patterson, Danielle Steel and John Grisham could all move here and probably never pay for a meal again.
Fiction not your fancy? The most-borrowed non-fiction titles are a bit more varied, but perhaps you ought to try J.D. Vance’s Hillbilly Elegy, which was popular among the non-escapist crowd. Tampa Bay was fond of Bill O’Reilly, too.
Here are the Top 10 books checked out from public libraries in Hernando County last year:
1. The Whistler by John Grisham
2. Night School: a Jack Reacher Novel by Lee Child
3. 16th Seduction by James Patterson and Maxine Paetro
4. Cross the Line by James Patterson
5. Never Never by James Patterson and Candice Fox
6. The Black Book by James Patterson and David Ellis
7. The Award by Danielle Steel
8. Missing by James Patterson and Kathryn Fox
9. The Mistress by Danielle Steel
10. The Store by James Patterson and Richard DiLallo
1. Scott Standard Postage Stamp Catalogue
2. Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis by J.D. Vance
3. Old School: Life in the Sane Lane by Bill O’Reilly and Bruce Feirstein
4. Killing England by Bill O’Reilly and Martin Dugard
5. Shattered: Inside Hillary Clinton’s Doomed Campaign by Jonathan Allen
6. Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur
7. Lenin on the Train by Catherine Merridale
8. Abandoned America: the Age of Consequences by Matthew Christopher
9. The Trial of Adolf Hitler by David King
10. Abandoned Asylums by Matt Van der Velde