Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Analysis

Analysis

Accord on Iraq could blur lines in presidential race

WASHINGTON — A new U.S.-Iraqi agreement raising the possibility of a withdrawal time line threatens to complicate the war policies of presidential candidates Barack Obama and John McCain.

It bolsters Obama's call for a quick exit but also could undercut one of the Democrat's signature issues — opposition to the war — as he prepares for a high-stakes trip to the region. It leaves McCain caught between his objections to any timetable and the evolving wishes of the Republican president he hopes to succeed.

Iraq has been replaced by the sputtering economy as issue No. 1 for U.S. voters, but the war remains a pivotal campaign issue even though violence there has declined.

Less than four months before the election, it's uncertain whether apparent steps toward the war's conclusion will dilute the political power of Iraq in the campaign.

McCain sought to keep it on the front burner by unleashing a new TV ad highly critical of his Democratic rival. The ad says Obama hasn't been to Iraq in years and voted against war funding to win the nomination but "now Obama is changing to help himself become president." McCain, it says, has always supported the Iraq strategy "that's working."

Of the accord, McCain said it vindicated his long-standing call for more troops but was careful to suggest it left the timing of withdrawal indefinite. Obama commended the Bush administration for dropping its opposition to discussing with Iraq the removal of U.S. combat troops and urged it to pressure the leaders of Iraqi factions to reach political accommodations.

Iraq long has been a major difference between the two.

Obama, with no military experience and a thin foreign policy resume, opposed the war from the start and won the Democratic nomination in part by rallying the antiwar wing of his party with a full-throated call for withdrawal. The Illinois senator promises "I will end this war" but also has said that U.S. troop safety and Iraq stability might force him to adjust his timetable, and that his upcoming Iraq trip may lead him to refine, but not basically alter, his position.

McCain, an ex-Navy pilot and Vietnam prisoner of war who has long specialized in national security issues, supported the decision to go to war. The Arizona senator spent years criticizing President Bush for not sending more troops and now emphasizes that Bush's decision to finally do so last year has helped reduce the violence. McCain long has rejected any timetable or date for withdrawal.

The line between the two could blur now that Bush and Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki have agreed to force reduction language in a broader security agreement to keep American troops in Iraq after a U.N. mandate expires on Dec. 31.

When Maliki publicly said he supported a timetable, Obama argued that the stance was in line with his own position and out of step with long-term presence favored by McCain and Bush. Said Obama: "I hope that this administration as well as John McCain is listening to what Prime Minister al-Maliki has to say."

Indeed, the U.S.-Iraqi agreement reinforces Obama's argument that troops should start coming home, for it's hard to argue against some time frame when both countries have endorsed such an approach. However, the accord also could end up diluting one of Obama's core issues. If there are signs that the war is ending, would that dampen the enthusiasm and urgency felt by voters initially drawn to his anti-war stance?

Underscoring his precarious position, McCain has been choosing his words carefully. After meeting in Washington with Iraqi President Jalal Talabani last month, McCain said he was "confident that the two nations, as sovereign nations, will reach agreement in the best interest of the United States of America and the best interest of the government of Iraq." Left unsaid was whether a time frame should be a part of any agreement.

Accord on Iraq could blur lines in presidential race 07/18/08 [Last modified: Monday, November 1, 2010 4:27pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. State rolls out food assistance program for residents affected by Hurricane Irma

    Hurricanes

    Help is on the way for Florida residents struggling to put food on the table after Hurricane Irma.

    The Salvation Army Mobile Food Pantry hlped out with free food in Largo after Hurricane Irma. Now, the federal government is expanding access to food for people affected by the storm. [DOUGLAS R. CLIFFORD  |  Times]
  2. Kriseman proclaims Buy Local week in St. Pete to quicken storm recovery

    Blogs

    Mayor Rick Kriseman has proclaimed next week to be "'Burg Buy Local Week" in an appeal to residents to help small businesses struggling to recover from Hurricane Irma.

    Mayor Rick Kriseman wants St. Pete residents to help small businesses recover from Hurricane Irma
  3. Only one Hernando County school needs schedule adjustment after Irma

    Blogs

    Hernando County public school students missed seven days of classes because of Hurricane Irma.

    Challenger K-8 School served as a Hernando County shelter during Hurricane Irma. Students returned to classes Monday, and won't need to make up any missed time.
  4. Editorial: Ready to put Irma behind? Maybe it's time to get ready, instead

    Editorials

    One can only marvel now, looking back at the radar image of Hurricane Irma whirling and jerking north between Tampa and Orlando and leaving two of Florida's major population centers with only scattered damage from its high winds.

    A hand-painted sign signals a West Tampa homeowner's resolve as Hurricane Irma approached the Tampa Bay Area on Sept. 10. [ALESSANDRA DA PRA   |   Times]
  5. Investigation launched into HHS Secretary Tom Price's travel on charter jets

    Nation

    Health and Human Services Secretary Tom Price will face an inspector general's investigation into his reported use of chartered jets for at least two dozen flights in recent months at taxpayer expense.

    Health and Human Services Secretary Tom Price will face an inspector general's investigation into his reported use of chartered jets for at least two dozen flights in recent months at taxpayer expense. A spokeswoman for HHS Inspector General Daniel R. Levinson told The Washington Post on Friday that the agency will request records of Price's travel and review the justification made by Price and his staff for the trips, which reportedly cost taxpayers a combined $300,000. [Associated Press]