TAMPA — After extending the search for a new executive director, the Children's Board of Hillsborough County will meet today to select five candidates to interview for the job.
A consultant has recommended nine candidates, narrowed from a pool of 52 that came from the extended search.
Of the nine, the consultant identified five as the strongest:
• James "Tony" Buntyn, president of the Buntyn Group, an IT security and cyber defense company in Tampa.
• Carl Harness, an assistant county administrator for Pinellas County and former assistant county administrator for Hillsborough.
• Anthony "Tony" Hinen, technical project manager deputy for CACI, a professional services and IT company.
• Melody "Mel" Jurado, founder, president and co-owner of the Profitable Group, a consulting and training organization in Tampa.
• Kelley Parris, director of the Alabama Department of Child Abuse Prevention.
The board plans to interview candidates and hold a community reception for the candidates and stakeholders May 9. The board will meet May 10 to decide on a preferred candidate.
The search was extended last month after an initial search failed to net more highly qualified applicants to replace Luanne Panacek, who resigned last year amid questions about how the public agency was handling contracts, spending money and dealing with employees.
Former Tampa Mayor Pam Iorio has been serving as interim director.