Make us your home page

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Next Steps

Son hopes father's prenup protects his inheritance

Q: As an only child, my father named me beneficiary of his profit-sharing plan at work after he and my mother divorced.

When he remarried, he insisted on a premarital agreement by which my stepmother gave up her rights to all assets that my father did not will to her. When he died unexpectedly, half of his property was willed to her and half to me; however, she is now claiming the profit-sharing plan even though I am still the beneficiary.

My lawyer — the same one who represented my father and prepared the premarital agreement — says "no way" because she gave up her rights before they married. There is quite a bit of money at stake.

Do I have anything to worry about?

A: You sure do. The benefit paid after the death of a married employee goes to the spouse in the form of a survivor annuity unless the spouse agrees in writing to the employee's election of another beneficiary.

Since the premarital agreement was signed before the marriage and therefore before she became a spouse, your stepmother had no rights to waive. These waivers must be signed after the premarital agreement and marriage.

Bottom line: She is probably entitled to the profit-sharing plan. Given the complexities involved in employee benefits, either research or getting an opinion from an expert in the field would have been wise.

In our opinion, you should revisit this question with your lawyer.

Nursing home errs in trying to discharge man

Q: My mother's last illness — she died two years ago — left my father almost destitute. Aside from Social Security and a small pension (totaling less than $800 per month), he has his house and little more.

Early this year, at age 87, my father fell and broke his hip. After being hospitalized for surgery, he was discharged to a nursing home for rehabilitation, which did not go well at all.

He is still unable to walk, get out of bed, go to the bathroom, etc., and his doctor says that he has reached maximum improvement.

His nursing home care was paid for by Medicare and, since he had a Medigap policy, there were no charges for him during his stay in the nursing home.

But after 85 days into his stay, the nursing home staff told my brother and me that they could not do anything more for my father and would have to discharge him unless we could pay $6,700 per month to keep him there as a private-pay patient.

When we told them that he had been approved for Medicaid, the nursing home told us that they did not have a Medicaid bed and that we could either pay privately or take him home.

His doctor says that he needs to be watched around the clock, an expense that he — and we — cannot afford.

What can we do to make sure our father gets the care he needs?

A: Under the facts as you state them, the nursing home cannot discharge your father, and you need to hire an experienced elder law attorney.

The actions threatened by the facility violate federal and state regulations which provide, in pertinent part, that the facility can not transfer or discharge your father unless (a) the facility cannot meet your father's needs, which is clearly not the case; (b) your father's health has improved to the extent that he no longer needs long-term care, which is clearly not the case; or (c) your father has failed, after reasonable and appropriate notice, to pay for (or to have paid under Medicare or Medicaid) his stay at the facility, which is clearly not the case.

As the facility knows, conversion to Medicaid does not allow them to discharge your father.

In addition, before transferring or discharging a resident, the facility must (a) give 30 days' notice to the resident and family member of the proposed transfer or discharge, (b) state in writing the reason(s) for the discharge, the date of the discharge and the location of the place to which the resident is to be transferred or discharged; and (c) state that the resident has the right to appeal to the state agency that administers the Medicaid Program in your state.

The names/designations of the agencies vary from state to state.

By telling you and your brother that your father could stay if you and he guarantee that you will pay the private pay rate, the facility has again breached the federal and state guidelines in that a facility cannot require a third-party guarantee of payment to the facility as a condition of admission, expedited admission or continued stay in the facility.

If your father is qualified for Medicaid, the facility cannot charge, solicit, accept or receive — in addition to any amount otherwise required to be paid under the state plan — any gift, money, donation or other consideration as a precondition of admission, expedited admission or continued stay in the facility.

It is unfortunate that nursing facilities accept patients, take Medicare or private pay, and then try to discharge the patients when they run out of money — but it happens.

Jan Warner is a member of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys and has been practicing law for more than 30 years. Jan Collins is editor of the Business and Economic Review published by the University of South Carolina and a special correspondent for The Economist. You can learn more information about elder care law and write to the authors on

Son hopes father's prenup protects his inheritance 04/27/09 [Last modified: Monday, April 27, 2009 4:30am]
Photo reprints | Article reprints


Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

  1. Bill Clinton coming to Miami Beach on Saturday for mayors' convention


    From our friends at the Miami Herald:

    Former President Bill Clinton gives the opening address to kick off a meeting of International Aid Groups at the InterAction Forum 2017 at the Washington Convention Center on June 20.
  2. Obama's secret struggle to punish Russia for Putin's election assault


    WASHINGTON — Early last August, an envelope with extraordinary handling restrictions arrived at the White House. Sent by courier from the CIA, it carried "eyes only" instructions that its contents be shown to just four people: President Barack Obama and three senior aides.

    Russian President Vladimir Putin, left, and Barack Obama shake hands at the COP21 UN Conference on Climate Change in Paris, France, Monday, Nov. 30, 2015. [Mikhail Klimentyev | Sputnik, Kremlin Pool Photo via AP]
  3. GOP's challenge: Finding votes for Senate health care bill (w/video)


    WASHINGTON — Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has finally unwrapped his plan for dismantling President Barack Obama's health care law. Now comes his next challenge — persuading enough Republicans to back the measure and avert a defeat that could be shattering for President Donald Trump and the GOP.

    Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., speaks to reporters at the Capitol after Republicans released their long-awaited bill to scuttle much of President Barack Obama's Affordable Care Act, at the Capitol in Washington, Thursday, June 22, 2017. He is one of four GOP senators to say they are opposed it but are open to negotiations, which could put the measure in immediate jeopardy. [Associated Press]
  4. Trigaux: Halfway through 2017, a closer look at six drivers of the Tampa Bay economy


    We're nearly halfway through 2017 already, a perfect time to step back from the daily grind of business and ask: How's Tampa Bay's economy doing?

    Is there one theme or idea that captures the Tampa Bay brand? Not really but here's one possibility. The fun-loving annual Gasparilla "Invasion" of Tampa is captured in this photo of 
The Jose Gasparilla loaded with pirates of Ye Mystic Krewe of Gasparilla on its way this past January to the Tampa Convention Center. In the future a vibrant downtown Tampa or St. Petersburg may be the better theme. [CHRIS URSO   |   Times]
  5. Harmeling first woman to receive lifetime honor at Sneaker Soiree in Tampa

    Human Interest

    TAMPA — For the last quarter-century, she has combined passion and meticulousness to keep the Gasparilla Distance Classic humming and evolving. Indefatigable and detailed, Susan Harmeling braces for every race-weekend contingency.

    Susan Harmeling gives a speech after accepting an award  during the annual Sneaker Soiree, at TPepin's Hospitality Centre, Thursday, June 22, 2017.