Make us your home page

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Encounters | An occasional feature

South Tampa neighbors reunite in memory of Mary

TAMPA — For three hours one afternoon in May, people in a small South Tampa neighborhood unlocked their doors and poured outside, uniting in a way people do after a hurricane or a fire. Mary Cashwell had wandered away from home and nobody knew where she was.

A sheriff's chopper hovered over Woodlynne Avenue. Hounds sniffed the street. People bolted their gates so Mary, 83 and suffering from Alzheimer's disease, wouldn't fall into anyone's swimming pool.

Nobody knows how many people passed by her that day as she sat inside the next-door neighbor's car, obscured by tinted windows, the heat slowly taking her life. By the time they found her that evening, it was too late.

• • •

Mary lived for a half-century on Woodlynne Avenue, in a house with a brick facade. But her home was the entire Southern Pines neighborhood, a community straight out of a '60s TV show.

Everybody knew the Cashwells. On Saturdays, Mary's three boys would take off on their bicycles and while away the day playing in tree huts, racing milk carton cars and gambling at penny poker. Mary and her husband would chat outside with the couple next door.

The two couples were almost inseparable. Mary's husband had a grand name, W. Wallace Cashwell,but she called him Bug. He was a practical joker who tinkered with electronics. Next door, Margaret Howell's husband, O.D., was a serious, law-and-order judge.

Together the four grew roses, which they entered in contests. The neighbors often saw them tending to their prized flowers in the lot between their homes. The Howells owned half the lot and the Cashwells bought the other half so no one could build a house to separate them.

• • •

Time passed. The kids got married and moved away. The couples grew too weak to garden.

Judge Howell died. Then, Bug. Then, Margaret. New neighbors moved in next door to Mary, whose memory faded as her illness progressed. Two weeks before she died, she shared a wish with her oldest son, Wally.

"I want to go home," she said.

"Mom," Wally said, "you're home. This is the house Dad built for you."

"No," she said. "I want to go home."

• • •

The other day, the neighbors came together. Judge Howell's daughter arranged the reunion.

Wally Cashwell leaned against the wall, scanning the name tags around the room. These were the kids he had grown up with. They had moved away to South Carolina, Alabama and all parts of Florida. Wally himself had settled on the opposite side of Dale Mabry Highway.

Many of them had learned of Mary's death on the news and had seen each other for the first time in decades at her funeral. They were glad for this chance to get together again.

"We've needed to see each other for a long time," Wally said.

They reminisced about the rubber band wars and the Halloweens, about the carpools and the moms who served Kool-Aid.

Mary's death had brought them home.

• • •

Mary had no need to leave her house that day in May. Her caretaker had fixed her hair and dressed her before leaving for church. But Mary wanted out.

She found spoons and used them to pry the lock open. She walked next door to the Howells' old house and saw a garnet-colored car, the same color as Bug's. She got in. They found her there, perhaps waiting for him.

Mary was reunited with Bug at the Garden of Memories cemetery. The Howells rest nearby, about as close to their friends as they were on Woodlynne Avenue.

And once again, they're all surrounded by roses.

Alexandra Zayas can be reached at or (813) 226-3354.


Have an Encounter?

Encounters is dedicated to small but meaningful stories. Sometimes they will play out far from the tumult of the daily news; sometimes they may be part of the news. To comment or suggest an idea for a story, contact editor Mike Wilson at or (727) 892-2924.

South Tampa neighbors reunite in memory of Mary 08/03/08 [Last modified: Tuesday, August 5, 2008 10:27am]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times


Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

  1. Bucs have chance to beat Vikings in their third stadium


    Here's a cool sign that the Bucs are getting up there as an NFL franchise: If Tampa Bay can win Sunday at U.S. Bank Stadium, it will mark the first time the Bucs have posted road wins against the same NFL opponent in three different stadiums.

    TIMES ARCHIVES (2012) | Bucs RB Doug Martin runs during Tampa Bay's 36-17 win at the Vikings in 2012, in what was then called Mall of America Field. If Tampa Bay wins Sunday, it will mark the first time they have road wins against the same NFL opponent in three different stadiums.
  2. Memorial for Snooty the manatee, postponed because of Irma, to be held Sunday


    A public memorial to celebrate the life of 69-year-old Snooty the manatee will be held at the South Florida Museum on Sunday from noon to 5 p.m.

    Snooty , the world's most celebrated manatee, begs for another slice of apple in his pool in the Parker Manatee Aquarium at the South Florida Museum in Bradenton in 2008. Snooty was 60 then. [Times 2008]
  3. Residents wade through a flooded road after the passing of Hurricane Maria, in Toa Baja, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 22, 2017. Because of the heavy rains brought by Maria, thousands of people were evacuated from Toa Baja after the municipal government opened the gates of the Rio La Plata Dam. [Associated Press]
  4. NFL commissioner, players' union angrily denounce Trump comments on national anthem


    SOMERSET, N.J. — The National Football League and its players' union on Saturday angrily denounced President Donald Trump for suggesting that owners fire players who kneel during the national …

    President Donald Trump walks off the stage after he speaks at campaign rally in support of Sen. Luther Strange, Friday, Sept. 22, 2017, in Huntsville, Ala. [Associated Press]
  5. New earthquake, magnitude 6.1, shakes jittery Mexico


    MEXICO CITY — A strong new earthquake shook Mexico on Saturday, causing new alarm in a country reeling from two still-more-powerful quakes this month that have killed nearly 400 people.

    Locals play pool at a venue in Mexico City's La Condesa neighborhood, Friday, Sept. 22, 2017, four days after the 7.1 earthquake. The upscale Mexico City neighborhood was one of the hardest hit, with more than a half-dozen collapsed buildings in the immediate vicinity. The few Condesa residents who ventured out Friday night said they were anxious for relief from an anguishing week. [Associated Press]