Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

This time, food stamp mix-up nearly snags Dunedin woman

Ellen Marchand didn’t know how she would survive with only $16 a month in food stamps.

Ellen Marchand didn’t know how she would survive with only $16 a month in food stamps.

DUNEDIN — It was a quiet day last week at Ellen Marchand's mobile home. After months of worry, she could relax.

Social Security Administration officials had told her in May she owed $10,000, a debt that dwarfed the retiree's limited budget. They incorrectly said she wasn't a citizen, working off a glitch in their records. Then they admitted they were wrong.

Marchand was elated. Then the next letter came.

This time, it was from the Florida Department of Children and Families, announcing a change to her food stamps. Her monthly $120 allotment, which she depended on to live, would drop to $16.

She read the letter, then read it again. From next month to November 2011, she'd get two quarters a day for food. The letter gave no reason for the change, only listing the Florida statute on food stamps and a few hotlines. She called, stayed on the phone for five hours and never reached a human helper.

The fear, worry and confusion returned. She was a widow, living alone, at the age of 82. How could she eat on $4 a week?

"It's very emotionally disturbing," Marchand said. "I kind of keep wondering what the hell the mailman's going to bring next."

But like the first time, the government decided it had made a mistake.

After a call to DCF from the St. Petersburg Times on Friday, the agency realized its error and called Marchand with good news: her $120 allotment was back to normal.

DCF spokesman Terry Field called the problem an extremely rare example of when data exchange goes awry. Marchand, again, was happy.

Here's how the latest problem started.

Marchand is one of more than 83,000 statewide to collect food stamps through SUNCAP, a program for seniors, the blind and disabled living on Supplemental Security Income. Since 2005, the program has enrolled the needy through a partnership with Social Security — no application required.

That automatic system allowed the agencies to keep the records in synch, but it also transmitted false information in the federal database to the state.

Marchand was to be paid more than usual, Social Security reported, to make up for missing benefits. But that skewed the Department of Children and Families' calculations to how much she would be eligible for. Hence, the $16 a month.

The quick fix, Field said, was a testament to the state agency's recent emphasis on reducing errors, even as the need for food stamps has nearly doubled in two years. The DCF was awarded more than $7 million last month for having a 0.85 percent error rate — the best in the nation.

But included in that 0.85 percent are people like Marchand, scared for the future and confused by the automated system put in place to assist her. She's thankful her issues were resolved. But how many out there, she wondered, are still missing out?

"When you talk to anyone about it, it's the same thing. You're not going to get through," Marchand said. "How the heck do you know" what to do?

Drew Harwell can be reached at dharwell@sptimes.com or (727) 445-4170.

This time, food stamp mix-up nearly snags Dunedin woman 08/17/09 [Last modified: Friday, August 21, 2009 6:33pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Record $417 million awarded in lawsuit linking baby powder to cancer

    Nation

    LOS ANGELES — A Los Angeles jury on Monday ordered Johnson & Johnson to pay a record $417 million to a hospitalized woman who claimed in a lawsuit that the talc in the company's iconic baby powder causes ovarian cancer when applied regularly for feminine hygiene.

    A bottle of Johnson's baby powder is displayed. On Monday, Aug. 21, 2017, a Los Angeles County Superior Court spokeswoman confirmed that a jury has ordered Johnson & Johnson to pay $417 million in a case to a woman who claimed in a lawsuit that the talc in the company's iconic baby powder causes ovarian cancer when applied regularly for feminine hygiene. [Associated Press]
  2. Search under way for missing sailors; Navy chief orders inquiry

    Military

    SINGAPORE — The U.S. Navy ordered a broad investigation Monday into the performance and readiness of the Pacific-based 7th Fleet after the USS John S. McCain collided with an oil tanker in Southeast Asian waters, leaving 10 U.S. sailors missing and others injured.

    Damage is visible as the USS John S. McCain steers toward Singapore’s naval base on Monday.
  3. Told not to look, Donald Trump looks at the solar eclipse

    National

    Of course he looked.

    Monday's solar eclipse — life-giving, eye-threatening, ostensibly apolitical — summoned the nation's First Viewer to the Truman Balcony of the White House around 2:38 p.m. Eastern time.

    The executive metaphor came quickly.

    President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump view the solar eclipse from the Truman balcony of the White House, in Washington, Aug. 21, 2017. [Al Drago | New York Times]
  4. Secret Service says it will run out of money to protect Trump and his family Sept. 30

    National

    WASHINGTON — The Secret Service said Monday that it has enough money to cover the cost of protecting President Donald Trump and his family through the end of September, but after that the agency will hit a federally mandated cap on salaries and overtime unless Congress intervenes.

    Secret service agents walk with President Donald Trump after a ceremony to welcome the 2016 NCAA Football National Champions the Clemson Tigers on the South Lawn of the White House on June 12, 2017. [Olivier Douliery | Sipa USA via TNS]
  5. After fraught debate, Trump to disclose new Afghanistan plan

    War

    WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump will unveil his updated Afghanistan policy Monday night in a rare, prime-time address to a nation that broadly shares his pessimism about American involvement in the 16-year conflict. Although he may send a few thousand more troops, there are no signs of a major shift in …

    U.S. soldiers patrol the perimeter of a weapons cache near the U.S. military base in Bagram, Afghanistan in 2003. Sixteen years of U.S. warfare in Afghanistan have left the insurgents as strong as ever and the nation's future precarious. Facing a quagmire, President Donald Trump on Monday will outline his strategy for a country that has historically snared great powers and defied easy solutions.  [Associated Press (2003)]