Sunday, February 18, 2018
Bizarre News

Child dies from infected rat; family sues Petco

A San Diego family is suing Petco after the death of their 10-year-old son from a bacterial infection they say he contracted from his pet rat.

Attorney John Gomez said Tuesday that his firm filed the lawsuit Monday in San Diego County seeking an unspecified amount for the suffering endured by the Pankey family, whose son, Aidan, died June 12, 2013, hours after he was rushed to the hospital with severe stomach pains.

The San Diego County Medical Examiner's Office ruled the cause of death was streptobacillus moniliformis infection, commonly known as rat-bite fever, after exposure to an infected rat.

"We are deeply saddened by the Pankey family's tragic loss," Petco said in a statement. "The health and safety of people and pets is always a top priority, and we take the family's concerns very seriously."

The boy's grandmother purchased the male rat, which Aidan named Alex, because her only grandson wanted a mate for his female pet rat, Gomez said. The boy took the rat home May 27, 2012, and woke up the night of June 11 in severe pain with a fever and stomach problems. He was pale, lethargic and could barely walk, according to the lawsuit. He died at 1:09 a.m. the next day.

"He was a bright, energetic, friendly, happy kid who actually had a prior rat, who was a female, and he had this idea in his young head of having his female rat get married," Gomez said.

The suit was not filed until now because attorneys were awaiting the lab results from the federal Centers for Disease Control, which tested the rat to confirm it was infected, Gomez said. The agency could not immediately confirm the results Tuesday.

According to the suit, the rat appeared safe. But it says Petco should have known about the rodent's health and did not adequately test for the disease. It also says negligence led to the boy's death, which has caused his parents, Andrew Pankey and Vanessa Sauer, emotional and economic hardship, and that the retailer did not post adequate warnings about the potential risks, especially for children.

According to the CDC, people can contract rat-bite fever from bites or scratches from infected rodents, such as rats, mice and gerbils, or even just by handling an animal with the disease without a bite or scratch. It can also be contracted by consuming food or drink contaminated with the bacteria. It is not spread from person to person. Antibiotics, such as penicillin, are highly effective at treating rat-bite fever, and it is rarely fatal, according to the CDC. It recommends people who handle rats or clean their cages wear protective gloves, wash their hands regularly and avoid touching their mouths with their hands after being in contact with rodents.

Petco also mentions preventative measures in information it posts online and provides in stores. The company warns that all rats are potential carriers and that pregnant women, children under 5 and people with weakened immune systems should contact their doctor before buying a rat and "should consider not having a rat as a pet."

Comments

Florida beach beset by stinging man-of-war creatures

MELBOURNE, Fla. — Beachgoers in one part of central Florida are encountering dozens of stinging sea creatures known as the Portuguese man-of-war.Florida Today reported Sunday that a number of people on Brevard County beaches have suffered stings from...
Published: 02/11/18
Florida judge arrested in undercover prostitution sting

Florida judge arrested in undercover prostitution sting

NAPLES, Fla. — A Florida judge has been arrested along with five other men in an undercover police prostitution sting. The Naples Daily News reports that Lee County Circuit Judge Jay B. Rosman was arrested along with the others after arranging...
Published: 02/11/18
Border agents to search for banned Valentine’s Day flowers

Border agents to search for banned Valentine’s Day flowers

SANTA TERESA, N.M. — Customs agents will step up searches for banned flowers meant for Valentine’s Day being smuggled into the U.S. from Mexico over worries about diseases and pests, federal officials announced.Agriculture specialists will be station...
Published: 02/10/18

Florida teen dies from gunshot wound he sustained while trying to kill trash animals

MYAKKA CITY, Fla. — Authorities say a Florida teen died after accidentally shooting himself with a handgun. New outlets reports that 15-year-old Wyatt Austin Ballard Hall died Thursday night at his Myakka City home, southeast of Tampa Bay. Th...
Published: 02/10/18
Deputies help deliver baby at Florida State Fair

Deputies help deliver baby at Florida State Fair

TAMPA — Two deputies helped a woman deliver a baby at the Florida State Fair on Friday, according to the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office.Deputies Roberto Ramirez and Henry Echenique heard a woman asking for help sometime after 4 p.m. because her...
Published: 02/09/18
Florida boy climbs into arcade claw machine but firefighters save the day

Florida boy climbs into arcade claw machine but firefighters save the day

Under the hashtag #youneverknowwhatsgonnahappen, the Titusville Fire and Emergency Services Department reports extricating a boy Wednesday from an arcade claw machines. Apparently seeing no reason to wrestle with the contraption to get one of the stu...
Published: 02/08/18
UPS Store clerk caught on video kicking out client who didn’t speak English

UPS Store clerk caught on video kicking out client who didn’t speak English

They say that you can get by in Miami even if you don’t speak English, but you can’t get by without Spanish. Not all Miami residents like that linguistic imbalance. Some don’t talk about their discontent, some whisper it, and a few...
Updated one month ago
Fifth-grader thought she brought gummy candies to school, but they were laced with marijuana

Fifth-grader thought she brought gummy candies to school, but they were laced with marijuana

A 9-year-old student in New Mexico gave fellow students gummies - only to realize later they were not ordinary candies.The candies had apparently been laced with tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, the chemical responsible for how marijuana affects the bra...
Updated one month ago