Cocaine sale makes poor use of education
One of the guys from San Diego State University's Theta Chi fraternity was going to Vegas for the weekend. Knowing he'd be missing work, he responsibly let the appropriate people know. Even better, he decided to share the fun: His mass text message to his "faithful customers" promoted a cocaine "sale" and listed the reduced prices, according to the Drug Enforcement Administration. He was one of dozens of university students arrested after a sweeping drug investigation, authorities said Tuesday. Authorities said they found organized dealing in fraternities and elsewhere and seized more than four pounds of cocaine, other drugs and $60,000. Of the 96 arrested, 75 were students, including one about to receive a criminal justice degree and another who was to receive a master's in homeland security.
Fake tribe shames their ancestors
If you're going to claim sovereignty based upon your American Indian heritage, you'd better be able to back it up. Four Utah men who created a tribe during a brainstorming session at a fast food joint are disappointed to learn they still must obey federal and state laws. Their Wampanoag Nation issued its own drivers' licenses and filed numerous lawsuits against Utah authorities for ignoring its purported sovereignty. On Monday, a judge declared the Wampanoag Nation a "complete sham" and ordered it to pay for excessive litigation. Wampanoag Nation member Martin Campbell, 56, insists he has Indian blood, but he can't vouch for his tribesmen. Proof wasn't required for membership.
Don't mock the flock
Hitchcock horror come to life
Never, ever make a Hitchcock joke around birds. The Andersons of Redlands, Calif., were enjoying a neighborhood barbecue last month when a large flock clouded the sky. That should have been an ominous sign, but the Andersons made light with the classic horror flick references. Then they went home, where the flock was waiting. Inside. Allison Anderson estimated that 200 birds had invaded, possibly via the chimney. Husband Scott resorted to tossing them out one by one. No word on whose job it was to clean up the little presents the birds left behind.
Don't order seconds
Food goes here, chemicals go there
Reduce, reuse … relabel. Sarah Ferguson became the victim of recycling gone bad last year when she ordered a glass of mulled wine at a New Zealand cafe. On Monday, the restaurant company admitted serving sodium hydroxide instead, the result of refilling an old mulled wine container with dishwashing liquid. Ferguson was treated at a hospital along with a restaurant employee (she just had to have a taste).
Compiled from Times wires and other sources.