Want to bet?
Whoops! Casino gives away $29M by accident
Officials at the Hollywood Casino in Grantville, Pa., are wondering if about 54,000 people would do them a big favor and not use the really great coupons they got in the mail recently. It seems the hotel meant to send its 1,000 best customers a slot machine credit worth about $500, plus free meals. But instead, they sent it to 55,000 people. If all 55,000 people cash in the full value of the offer, it will cost the casino nearly $29-million. The casino is trying to talk recipients into an alternate redemption plan, worth about $100. The casino said that the error was made at a direct-mail company. Investigators are looking into whether there have been any regulatory violations.
Cops get DUI arrest, make it a double
Police in Nassau County, N.Y., saw a woman trying to make a three-point turn. She failed, and by the time they got to the car, she had traded places with her male passenger, who completed the turn. Police pulled the car over and arrested them both. "We have two individuals arrested for driving the same car intoxicated," said police Commissioner Lawrence Mulvey.
Can't be mad while blowing bubbles
Police in the British town of Bolton have a plan to curb drunken violence in the city this holiday season. Bubbles. The Daily Mail reports that officers plan to hand out pens that have wands and soapy fluid built in, with the goal that a little silly fun will take the edge off any drunken tension. "The bubble pens are a great idea to keep things light-hearted," said Coun Elaine Sherrington of the Bolton Council. But local shop owners aren't necessarily sold on it yet. "We often have shop premises damaged by aggressive drunks," Elizabeth Edwards said. "They'll only end up chucking the soapy liquid at each other."
Brits declare fire extinguishers unsafe
In a continuing effort to keep its citizenry safe, some local governments in Britain are planning to remove that eternal safety hazard, the fire extinguisher. According to the British news Web site Metro, risk assessors in the town of Bournemouth have decided the devices encourage people to fight a fire rather than flee it. So they are taking them out of communal areas in apartment buildings. "They are worried we will point them in the wrong direction or use the wrong extinguishers," said resident Mike Edwards. "But if you are trapped in a burning building, you will work out how to use one." Last month, the county of Cambridgeshire removed water wings from public pools, fearing they could make kids sick.
Compiled from Times wire services and other sources by staff writer Jim Webster, who can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.