Tax office collecting charitable donations
The Pasco County Tax Collector’s Office is collecting donations for the Connections Job Development Program during April. The program helps Pasco County job seekers learn basic skills they need to prepare a resume, search and interview for a job, operate a computer and other skills. Services are provided at no cost. Donations will be collected at all five tax offices in Dade City, Wesley Chapel, Land O’Lakes, New Port Richey and Gulf Harbors. For information about the Connections Job Development Program, contact Ann Wilkinson at (727) 849-4724, or visit connectionsjobdevelopment.org. For information about the tax collector’s charitable giving program, contact Greg Giordano, assistant tax collector, at (727) 847-8179 or [email protected], or visit pascotaxes.com.
AARP offers driver safety class to seniors
The AARP Driver Safety Program class will be offered at several Pasco County locations during April. The course is open to drivers ages 50 and older who, upon completion, may receive a discount on their auto insurance premiums. The certificate is valid for three years. Cost is $15 for AARP members (bring membership card) and $20 for nonmembers. Space is limited and preregistration is required; call the instructor.
• 9:30 a.m. April 23 at Meadow Pointe Community Center, 28245 County Line Road, Wesley Chapel. Call Dennis, (813) 994-9832.
• 10 a.m. April 24 at Centennial Park Library, 5740 Moog Road, Holiday. Call Mohan, (407) 342-9300.
• 10 a.m. April 25 at Land O’ Lakes Library, 2818 Collier Parkway, Land O’ Lakes. Call Eugene Pool, (813) 949-8585.
NAMI offers ongoing support groups
The Pasco County chapter of the National Alliance on Mental Illness offers two types of support group meetings each month:
• The NAMI Connection Recovery Support Group is a structured, closed group, open only to those with a mental illness diagnosis. This group is for individuals ages 18 and older who are interested in the recovery process, sharing coping skills and being with others who understand the challenges of living with a mental illness. It is facilitated by trained peers. Separate groups meet from 7 to 8:30 p.m. every Wednesday at WellCare in the Southgate Shopping Center, 5113 U.S. 19, New Port Richey.
• The Family Support Group is for family members and caregivers of someone with a mental illness diagnosis. Separate groups meet from 6:30 to 8 p.m. the second and fourth Mondays of each month at Medical Center of Trinity’s West Campus, 5637 Marine Parkway, New Port Richey; and from 7 to 8:30 p.m. the first and third Tuesdays of each month at Atonement Lutheran Church, 29617 State Road 54, Wesley Chapel.
Contact NAMI at (727) 992-9653 or visit namipasco.org.
Sponsors, vendors needed for Woofstock
Friends of Animal Services will host the fourth annual Woofstock from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. May 19 at Land O’ Lakes Heritage Park, 5401 Land O’ Lakes Blvd. The event will include pet adoptions, food trucks, music and a variety of family entertainment. Various sponsorships are available and begin at $35 for a booth at Woofstock to a $500 sponsorship, which includes a sponsorship of one animal of your choice; logo displayed on flyers, banners, T-shirts and at the event; and a booth at Woofstock. Proceeds from entrance fees will benefit sick and injured dogs and cats brought to Pasco County Animal Services. For details, contact [email protected], call (813) 929-1212 or visit pascocountyfl.net/PAS.
Healthy Start Coalition hosts annual meeting
The Healthy Start Coalition of Pasco will conduct its Spring Coalition general membership meeting from 10 a.m. to noon April 26 at Rasmussen College, 18600 Fernview St. The speaker is Lynn A. Smith, the neonatal services manager at Medical Center of Trinity. The meeting will include updates from Healthy Start, the Service Delivery Plan/Needs Assessment, coordinated intake and referral, and input from community members. The meeting is open to any agency or individuals that focus on health and well-being of pregnant women, children and families. Reservations are appreciated. RSVP to Erika Rodriguez at (727) 841-7888 or [email protected]
Animal Services reduces adoption fees
Pasco County Animal Services has reduced adoption fees for cats anf dogs to $25 during April. All adoption fees include spay/neuter, microchip and vaccines. The promotion excludes puppies and kittens younger than 6 months, and dogs under 25 pounds. The shelter is at 19640 Dogpatch Lane. Call (813) 929-1212
NEW PORT RICHEY
Garden club hosts Spring sale
The New Port Richey Garden Club will hold its Spring Plant Sale from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. April 20 and 21 at 10271 Casey Drive, at the corner of Buck Drive. Prices start at $2. For information, call (727) 484-6741.
Coin and Stamp Expo slated for April 21
The Pasco Coin Club will host a Coin and Stamp Expo from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. April 21 at New Lakes Regency Park Civic Association, 8330 Civic Drive. Visitors can register to win a 1-ounce silver eagle. Coins, currency, bullion and jewelry will be sold, bought and appraised. Admission and parking is free. Call Chuck at (727) 534-7597.