Ladies Fire Auxiliary 'After Holiday Blast'
An "After Holiday Blast" will be from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. Jan. 14 at the High Point Community Center, 12249 Clubhouse Road. Doors open at 7 p.m.
The event, sponsored by the Ladies Fire Auxiliary, will feature a performance by Dave Conrad as the Beach Bum DJ.
Guests may bring their own beverages. Tickets are $7 and available from Phyllis Looney, (352) 293-3418; Vivian Henegar, (352) 596-8485, or at the High Point Community Association office. Tickets will also be available at the door. For information, call (352) 556-3984.
Reception for artist Betty Love on Jan. 13
The Spring Hill Art League will co-host a reception for local artist Betty Love from 1 to 3 p.m. Jan. 13 at Art, Craft, Bridal and Frame, in the Towne Square Mall, 3021 Commercial Way.
Refreshments will be served. Love's works will remain on display through the end of January.
Academia Hernando offers lecture series
Academia Hernando will present its Winter 2012 Lecture Series from 10 a.m. to noon Mondays, Jan. 9 through March 12, at Nativity Lutheran Church, 6363 Commercial Way.
• Monday: "Stories for the Thinking Person," by Jerry Cowling.
• Jan. 16: Field trip to Steve Melton's sugarcane farm in Dade City to see examples of farm implements from days gone by.
• Jan. 23: "Contemporary Architecture in Tampa Bay," by Ed Hoffman, architect of the Leepa-Rattner Museum in Tarpon Springs.
• Jan. 30: "Marie Curie — Her Life and Work," by Susan Marie Frontczak.
• Feb. 9. Bus trip to Winter Park (Morse Museum and a lake boat trip); for subscribers only.
• Feb. 13: "How Modern Science Has Changed Police Work," by Tim Whitfield, director of the Hernando County Sheriff's Office forensics unit.
• Feb. 20: "Do You Have a Fortune on Your Bookshelves?" presented by George Spiero.
• Feb. 27: "Politics in Florida This Election Year," presented by professor and political analyst Susan McManus.
• March 5: "Customs of Papua New Guinea," by Gertrude Hinsch.
• March 12: "La Belle France: A spotlight on French Civilization and Culture," by Joe Menasche.
Subscriptions to the series are $55 per person. Walk-ins pay $8 per session. To subscribe or for information, call (352) 597-0158. Checks are to be made payable to Academia Hernando and mailed to 5025 Spring Lake Highway, Brooksville, FL 34601.
A feast and dance for St. Anthony at church
A Solemnity of St. Anthony the Abbot Celebration dinner-dance will be at 6 p.m. Jan. 12 at St. Anthony Catholic Church, 20428 Cortez Blvd.
Dinner will be catered by Carrabba's Italian Grill and will include chicken marsala, penne pomodoro, caesar salad, foccacia bread and dessert. Music and dancing will follow.
Tickets are $20 each or $35 per couple; tickets are $10 for children 12 and younger. For information, call the parish office at (352) 796-2096.
Commission seeking volunteers for boards
The Hernando County Commission is accepting applications from individuals interested in volunteering on the following boards:
• Hernando County Tourist Development Council. There is a vacancy for a representative of a tourist enterprise collecting the tourist tax. The purpose of the council is to promote tourism opportunities in Hernando County and to oversee the collection and disbursement of the tourist development tax.
• Library Advisory Committee. There is one vacancy to fill a seat through Dec. 31, 2014. The committee acts as an advisory board to county commissioners on matters pertaining to the county's public library system.
• Hernando County Affordable Housing Advisory Committee. There are a number of seats available, including a representative of the banking/mortgage industry, one who is actively engaged in the residential home-building industry in connection with affordable housing, one who is an advocate for low-income persons in connection with affordable housing, a representative of the areas of labor actively engaged in home building in connection with affordable housing, a for-profit provider of affordable housing, a real estate professional in connection with affordable housing, one who represents essential services personnel as defined in the local housing assistance plan, and one who represents employers within the jurisdiction.
Applications are available in the county administrator's office, Room 263, Hernando County Government Center, 20 N Main St., Brooksville; they may also be downloaded from hernandocounty.us/bocc/committees.htm. Completed applications must be returned no later than 5 p.m. Jan. 18.
Applicants for all boards must be Hernando County residents and registered voters. For information, call (352) 754-4002.