Fall lecture series offers topics on academia, arts
Academia Hernando's Fall Lecture Series will be offered from 10 a.m. to noon Mondays, Sept. 20 to Nov. 22, at Nativity Lutheran Church, 6363 Commercial Way.
• Sept. 20: "Why Isn't He in Jail?" by Hernando County Assistant State Attorney Don Barbee.
• Sept. 27: "Charlotte Bronte and Her Sisters," by Bill Schuerle.
• Oct. 4: "All You Ever Wanted to Know about Breeding and Racing Pigeons," by Laurimore McConnell.
• Oct. 11: "Safety In Your Medicine Cabinet," by Jason Baldwin, a pharmacist at Brooksville Regional Hospital.
• Oct. 18: "Screwball Comedy in the Movies," by Harriett Deer
• Oct. 25: "Optical Deceivers: A History of Artists and Visual Illusions," by Peter Tush.
• Nov. 1: No lecture. A bus trip to the Henry B. Plant Museum in Tampa will be provided for subscribers only on Nov. 2.
• Nov. 8: "Hernando County Today and Tomorrow," by Hernando County Administrator David Hamilton.
• Nov. 15: "China Today: Issues, Challenges and Opportunities," by Don Menzel.
• Nov. 22: "Love Letter" Concert, performed by Mickey Mandel and her husband.
The cost of a subscription to the series is $50 per person. Walk-ins pay $7 per lecture. For information, call (352) 597-0158.
Movies, refreshments free at public libraries
The Hernando County Public Library System will show these movies:
• Ever After, 2 p.m. Tuesday, East Hernando Branch Library, 6457 Windmere Road, Ridge Manor West. Drew Barrymore and Angelica Huston star in the 1998 film about the "real" life story of Cinderella. Rated PG-13.
• Invictus, 2 p.m. Sept. 9, Spring Hill Branch/Harold G. Zopp Memorial Library, 9220 Spring Hill Drive. The film, rated PG-13, tells the story of how Nelson Mandela joined forces with the captain of South Africa's rugby team in an effort to unite the country. Mandella helps rally the team for its unlikely run to the 1995 World Cup championship. Directed by Clint Eastwood, the film stars Morgan Freeman and Matt Damon.
There is no cost to attend either movie. Complimentary refreshments will be served at both. For information, call (352) 540-6391.
Not good with money? Get free advice, no fee
The United Way of Hernando County has teamed with the Hernando County Cooperative Extension Service to offer a Master Money Mentors program.
The program is a coordinated referral network of volunteer mentors who provide basic personal finance coaching at no cost. A three-day workshop to train volunteer mentors will be from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sept. 13, 14 and 20 at the extension office, 1653 Blaise Drive.
There is no cost for the training. Participants will be provided all materials and meals.
For information or to register for the training program, contact Scott Taylor at (352) 754-4433 or send e-mail to [email protected]