Man reaches for dog, gets bitten by gator
A Land O'Lakes man ducked to look under his car, thinking his dog had crawled underneath. But when Joseph Cannistra reached below just after midnight Sunday, he discovered a 5-foot gator, according to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. That gator wasn't in the mood to play. It bit both of Cannistra's hands. Cannistra, 38, received stitches and was released from University Community Hospital. Wildlife officers captured the gator. Because it was injured, the animal will be euthanized, according to the wildlife agency.
Boy critically hurt in crash identified
Police have identified the boy seriously injured in a Saturday crash as they continue to investigate how he was ejected from the cargo area of a sport utility vehicle. Alan D. Asmitia, 7, was hurled from the SUV after it ran a red light on Cleveland Street at Belcher Road and struck a truck, then a car, Clearwater police said Sunday. Alan was ejected from the cargo area and hit a light pole. He wasn't wearing a seat belt or using a booster seat, police said. Alan was flown by helicopter to Bayfront Medical Center in St. Petersburg with critical injuries. Alcohol doesn't appear to be a factor in the crash, police said.
Hoofed intruder surprises deputies
Pinellas County sheriff's deputies George Moffett and David Littlejohn saw blood on the kitchen floor and heard banging noises coming from a back bedroom. It was about 1 p.m. Saturday and the deputies thought an intruder was inside an East Lake home. They followed the sound when a 190-pound deer charged out of the room and ran around the house. Using towels, Moffett and Littlejohn directed the deer toward an open garage door. The deer had a minor cut on one of its hind legs and ran into the Brooker Creek Preserve. The Sheriff's Office is withholding the address of the incident because the homeowners are out of state. Neighbors boarded up a smashed window and secured the house.
• Academia Hernando presents "The Story of Genghis Khan" lecture: 10 a.m., Nativity Lutheran Church, 6363 Commercial Way, Weeki Wachee. $7. (352) 597-0158.
• Veterans forum with U.S. Sen. Bill Nelson: 2:30-3:30 p.m., Brooksville City Hall, 201 Howell Ave.
• Artist David Kastner's Psychedelic Visions art show: 9 a.m.-8 p.m., Alric C.T. Pottberg Library Gallery at PHCC, 10230 Ridge Road, New Port Richey. (727) 816-3229.
• Hernando County Planning and Zoning Commission, 9 a.m., Hernando County Government Center, 20 N Main St., Brooksville.
• Hernando County Citizens Ordinance Advisory Team, 1:30 p.m., Hernando County Department of Public Works, 1525 E Jefferson St., Brooksville.
• Library Advisory Committee, 5 p.m., Lykes Memorial Library, 238 Howell Ave., Brooksville.
• Zephyrhills City Council, 6 p.m., City Hall, 5335 Eighth St., Zephyrhills.