Angel Food Ministries orders being accepted
Angel Food Ministries orders will be taken at these locations:
• Christ Lutheran Church, 475 North Ave. W, Brooksville: 6 to 8 p.m. Friday, 9 a.m. to noon Saturday, and 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sunday. Payments must be made with cash or food stamps.
• First Lutheran Church, 30419 Park Ridge Drive, Ridge Manor: 8 to 10 a.m. Saturday. Payments must be made with cash only.
Distribution of ordered packages will be at 9 a.m. Aug. 29 at both sites. For information, call (352) 799-3452.
• Nature Coast Family Fellowship, 14832 U.S. 19 N, Hudson: Noon to 3 p.m. today, Saturday and Monday. Payments can be made in cash or food stamps. Debit or credit card payments can be made with online orders at www.naturecoastfamily fellowship.org through 11:50 p.m. Sunday. Distribution will be 7:30 to 9 a.m. Aug. 29. Call (352) 650-7773 or (727) 271-4662.
Angel Food Ministries is a nonprofit, nondenominational organization that provides grocery relief to anyone.
The cost is $30 per unit, which retails for about $60. Various specialty boxes are available, as well as senior packages and an allergen-free food box.
Participants no longer need to buy a Signature Box or Senior Meal box to qualify for the produce, grill and meat boxes, or other special packages.
Hospital's auxiliary sets gold-buying event
Brooksville Regional Hospital Auxiliary will sponsor a gold-buying event from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Aug. 27 in the hospital cafeteria, 17240 Cortez Blvd.
Anyone interested can bring in their old gold, silver jewelry and sterling flatware in any condition to trade for cash. Proceeds from the event will benefit the auxiliary's scholarship fund.
For information, call Pam at (352) 442-0169.
Applications sought for Fine Arts Council
The Hernando County Commission is accepting applications from those wishing to fill an unexpired term on the Fine Arts Council, effective through Dec. 31, 2012.
The purpose of the Fine Arts Council is to promote the arts and to support groups associated with the arts in Hernando County.
Applications are available in the county administrator's office, Room 263, Hernando County Government Center, 20 N Main St., Brooksville. Completed applications must be returned to the office no later than 5 p.m. Aug. 21.
All applicants must be Hernando County residents and registered voters. For information, call (352) 754-4002.
Central's open house will be held Aug. 21
Central High School will host an open campus from 1 to 3 p.m. Aug. 21 at 14075 Ken Austin Parkway.
Students can receive their homeroom information and tour the campus. A "Welcome to Central" program will be at 1 p.m. in the gymnasium.
New students can meet school administrators, become familiar with school procedures and learn about extracurricular programs.
For information, call (242) 797-7020.
Driver safety program helps older drivers
The AARP Driver Safety Program is a refresher course for drivers 50 and older.
The cost is $12 for members and $14 for nonmembers; members should bring their AARP cards.
The course will be offered at the these locations in September:
• 12:30 to 4:30 p.m., Sept. 2 and 9, Spring Hill Enrichment Center, 11375 Cortez Blvd., behind Oak Hill Hospital. Call (352) 666-4044 to register.
• 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., Sept. 11 and 18, Holy Cross Lutheran Church, 6193 Spring Hill Drive, Spring Hill. Call (352) 666-4044 to register.
• Noon to 4 p.m., Sept. 15 and 17, Forest Oaks Lutheran Church, 8555 Forest Oaks Blvd., Spring Hill. Call (352) 797-7497 to register.
• 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sept. 16 and 23, Spring Hill Enrichment Center, 11375 Cortez Blvd. Call (352) 684-9302 to register.
• 8 a.m. to noon, Sept. 17 and 22, Brookridge Clubhouse, 8150 Hampton St., west of Brooksville. Call (352) 683-6840 to register.
Completing CPR course brings certification
A CPR class will be offered at 6 p.m. Aug. 20 at the Spring Hill Enrichment Center, 11375 Cortez Blvd., behind Oak Hill Hospital.
The course meets the guidelines of the American Heart Association and the American Safety and Health Institute. It is designed for professional health-care providers, but anyone interested may participate.
The cost is $20. Upon satisfactory completion of the course, students will receive a two-year certification card.
Seating is limited. For information or to reserve a seat, call (352) 597-8875.
Crafters needed for annual Sonshine event
Crafters may register for the 16th annual Sonshine Arts and Crafts Festival, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Oct. 17 at Christ Lutheran Church, 475 North Ave. W.
The annual event, sponsored by the Mary Martha Guild, includes baked goods, soups, sandwiches, and coffee for participating crafters.
Table reservations are $15 and must be received by Aug. 31.
Proceeds benefit youth groups and their projects.
For applications or information, call Barbara at (352) 799-3082 or Inge at (352) 686-8751 (please call between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m.).
Submit your writing to be published this fall
The Belle Letter Writers Hernando County is hosting a writing competition for placement in the group's third annual anthology.
The contest is open to adults 18 and older from throughout Tampa Bay. Work may be fiction, nonfiction, science fiction/fantasy or poetry.
Story submissions, along with a $17 entry fee, must be received by mail or e-mail no later than noon Aug. 19.
Stories and poems selected by the judges will be published in September in the Belle Letter Writers 2009 Anthology. Each author whose work is chosen will receive recognition and one free anthology book.
For complete rules and format guidelines, send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or call Juliette Ri at (352) 410-2336.
Marine League Labor Day picnic has tickets
Marine Corps League Detachment 708 is selling tickets for a Labor Day Picnic that will be from noon to 5 p.m. Sept. 5 at the detachment, 8405 Sunshine Grove Road, west of Brooksville.
The picnic will include grilled barbecue chicken, sausage and peppers, and accompaniments. Entertainment will be provided by Brian Chytka.
Tickets are $10 each and must be purchased by Aug. 29. Call (352) 597-7979.
Clubhouse selling tickets for season
Brookridge Entertainment is selling season tickets for the 2009-10 season.
All shows are at the Brookridge Clubhouse, 8150 Hampton St., with doors opening at 6:30 p.m. and showtime at 7 p.m. Shows include:
• Oct. 8, A night of comedy with Tim Walkoe
• Nov. 12, singer/comedian John Charles
• Dec. 10, comedy act with Max Winfrey
• Jan. 14, entertainer and singer Gary Puckett
• Feb. 11, tribute to Neil Diamond with Jay White
• March 11, "Let's Hang On" offering the sounds of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons
• April 8, country music singer Leanne Williams.
The cost for all seven shows is $88 for Brookridge residents and $104 for nonresidents. Call Barbara at (352) 597-4620.
Tickets available for veterans luau
Korean War Veterans Chapter 174 and Ladies Auxiliary will host a Hawaiian luau at 2 p.m. Sept. 5 at VFW Post 10209, 14736 Edward R. Noll Drive.
The event will feature a buffet dinner, a South Pacific Revue hula show, music for dancing with the Frankie Dee New York Orchestra, leis, door prizes and a cash bar.
Tickets are $22 per person. Tables for eight or more are available. For information or tickets, call Rich at (352) 688-7196.