Food ministry taking orders for May 22
Angel Food Ministries food orders for May will be taken on the following days at Christ Lutheran Church, 475 North Ave. W:
• 6 to 8 p.m. Friday
• 9 to 11 a.m. Saturday
• 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sunday
• 5:30 to 7 p.m. May 13
Food orders will be distributed from 9 to 11 a.m. on May 22 at the church. For information, call (352) 799-3452.
Angel Food Ministries is a nonprofit, nondenominational organization that provides grocery relief.
The cost is $30 per unit, which retails for about $60. Various specialty boxes are available at different prices, such as senior packages, an allergen-free food box and a seafood box.
Springstead football flea market is May 15
The Springstead High School Football Booster Club will have a flea market fundraiser from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. May 15 in the parking lot at Springstead Theatre, 3300 Mariner Blvd.
Vendor spaces are available for $10; setup begins at 6:30 a.m. For information, or to reserve a space, call Greg at (352) 683-3528.
Lake House festival features tribute bands
The Spring Hill Community Association will present Rock N' Soul at 6 p.m. May 22 at the Lake House, 1202 Kenlake Ave. Gates open at 4 p.m.
The concert is a tribute to the music of the '60s and '70s, and will feature Act 3, singing songs of the Temptations, Four Tops and Motown hits; and British Export, performing hits from the Beatles.
There will also be food, drinks and vendors available. Seating is festival style; bring a lawn chair or blanket.
Tickets are $7 in advance and $10 at the gate. For information, call (352) 666-4746 or visit www.springhilllakehouse.org. Business and craft vendor spaces are still available; call for details.
Equestrian Special Olympics show set
The Arc Nature Coast's Posse equestrian team will host an Equestrian Special Olympics preparation show from 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. May 13 at the Arc Posse Arena at 5283 Neff Lake Road, east of Brooksville.
There will be a lunch break from noon to 12:30 p.m. with hot dogs and hamburgers available for purchase. Proceeds will benefit the equestrian program. Call (352) 544-2322.
Acoustic Guitar Club will play at barbecue
The Spring Lake annual barbecue will be from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. May 15 at the historic Spring Lake Community Center, 4184 Spring Lake Highway.
Dinner includes pork, chicken and fixings. Entertainment will be provided by the Spring Hill Acoustic Guitar Club.
Tickets are $6 for adults, $3 for children 11 and younger. Call (352) 754-1803.
Group offers meals, seeks help, donations
People Helping People of Hernando will serve free meals to people in need from 4 to 6 p.m. Sunday at the Hernando County Senior Citizens Club, 7925 Rhanbuoy Road.
People Helping People is a local interfaith nonprofit organization. The group is in need of volunteers and donations. Meals are served on the second and fourth Sundays of each month, but the group is working toward serving meals weekly. The group also provides free clothing, groceries and resource materials to those in need.
Call (352) 686-4466. Checks can be mailed to: People Helping People, P.O. Box 6182, Spring Hill, FL 34611.
Coast Guard Auxiliary offers boating classes
The U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary will offer the following classes:
• Navigating with Global Positioning System, 9 a.m. to noon Tuesday. Learn how to use GPS to get to your destination and back safely. Learn how to program waypoints, develop routes and interface GPS routes with a nautical chart. The cost is $35.
• Hernando Beach Coastal Navigation, 7 to 9:30 p.m. Tuesday. Learn how to navigate the area through the use of charts, instruments used in plotting courses, and a compass. Practical exercises on development of routes on the coast of Hernando Beach will be conducted. The cost is $15.
• Weather and Boating, 7 to 9:30 p.m. May 25. Learn how to avoid safety problems related to weather. Information provided on how weather develops and changes and how to recognize weather trends. The cost is $10.
• Weekend Navigator. This is a comprehensive course designed for experienced and novice powerboat and sailboat operators. Call for dates and details.
All courses are at the auxiliary building at 4340 Calienta St.
For information, or to register for a class, call Jeff Hoff at (352) 397-5417.
Also, free vessel safety checks are available and can be done wherever the boat is kept. For details, or to schedule a check, call Jackie at (352) 666-7239.