Be extra careful in dry, fire-prone areas
Due to the extremely dry conditions, the Southwest Florida Water Management District has suspended controlled burns on district lands and is asking others to take extra precautions to prevent wildfires:
• Campfires and other sources of open flames are not allowed on district lands at this time.
• Be careful with gas lanterns, gas stoves.
• All vehicles must stay on designated roadways or trails. Avoid driving vehicles on roads with tall, dead grass.
• Avoid parking vehicles in areas of dead grass, brush or other vegetation as vehicle catalytic converters get very hot and can quickly ignite dry brush or other vegetation such as pine needles or dead leaves.
• Dispose of smoking materials properly.
• Carry a shovel and fire extinguisher in your vehicle.
The district also says that if you see a fire while on district land, you should call 911.